Wireless internet in dorm

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jefferson987, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Jefferson987 macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2006
    Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. Ok, so heres my situation. I recently got one of those La Fonera routers because I wanted to set it up in my dorm room. I thought I might run into some problems doing this and guess what.....I did. When I connect the ethernet cable that has the internet connection to the router, the internet light just blinks and blinks and never connects. My college dosnt allow wireless signals in the rooms because theres the chance that it could interfere with various things. However, if I can get this to work, Im going to install openwrt so I can turn the signal strength down so interference should not be a problem. It dosnt need to be to strong because my room is really little. Anyway, I'm not sure if I should post my IP address or not, so hopefully you wont need to know it to help me. Ive heard of people being able to work around similar situations on there macs. Can someone PLEASSSEE help me out by posting instruction on how to do this? It would be so greatly appreciated!
  2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Mar 19, 2006
    I can't help with setting it up, but one tip. I would turn down the signal so it doesn't interfere AND hide the SSID. Also, setup MAC filtering. You can Google for more info.
  3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Are you sure that your university allows you to have your own router in a dorm room? My guess is they don't and that's what's causing your problem.
  4. Jefferson987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2006
    Its a start

What is SSID and how can I disable it?
  5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I don't believe wireless interference is what your school is referring to. More than likely they are talking about network interference. Off the shelf wireless routers do not play nicely with big networks like the ones found in schools and corporate environments. They have the capability of taking down the network of floors or entire buildings. Trust me, I've seen it happen. I suggest reading the Acceptable Use Policy your school has in place; somewhere it will probably say that routers are prohibited.