Wireless Internet question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by joey4127, Apr 12, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

I am in Japan and where I live we have free wirless internet. But My mac doesn't have a built in wirless card. Can I just buy any computer antena (like for routing or something) thats compatible with mac. And just make it search for the internet?

Thats what my friend did with his PC. He just got a USB antena thingy from a electronic store and he now catches the wirless internet around here.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What type of Mac do you have? If you have a iBook or powerBook, I'd buy an airport card. If you have a Power Mac, I'ld get a pci card. Anything else, I'd get a usb adapther. The usb adapter will work for any mac as long as that specific brand is compatible.

3. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

I have a Mac Mini. So I would get the USB Adapter and just search for a connection through System Prefersnces > Network.

And it should display the connections it finds right?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True. My point was, just make sure it works on your Mac. Of course, you may feel free to buy anything that isn't Mac compatible if you want. But you won't like it as much! ;)

7. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Your best bet is the Airport Extreme card - goes inside the Mac Mini - but the D-Link dwl-122 is available in Japan

The D-Link USB thing does work, but it has some problems not the least of which is that it creates a lot of heat and must be plugged into a port directly on the computer. We tried plugging it into a USB hub and it fried the hub!

Whenever your computer goes to sleep, you have to fiddle with the D-Link to get it to wake up - worse than getting up for work on Monday morning LOL.

After about 3 days of messing with that, we forked over the cash for a "real" airport card.

Margaret

8. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

Okay, well once I get the antena, I will just make my mac search for connections, right?

Thanks for all the help guys :D