Wireless Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prp134, Jul 6, 2005.

1. prp134 macrumors regular

Ok so I searched the threats just to be sure if my question has been answered it hasnt good...ok so Im going to buy a powerbook, I have a desktop PC at home which is connect to the internet through SBC yahoo DSL.

My question is this, can I use my DSL line at home to connect to the internet with my Powerbook? Im going to get one of those Airport devices (not sure which one to get yet) because I will keep my PC desktop just so the rest of the family can use but I want to be able to use the internet too.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sure you can. If the PC doesn't have a wireless card you'll either need to get the Airport Extreme (not the Express) or the Express with a separate router unless you wanna get a wireless card for the PC.

3. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

Huh? I thought i didnt have to do anything to the old pc.

4. inlimbo macrumors 6502

To connect your PB to your broadband you are going to need to connect it to your DSL modem. So u can either do that wirlessly or with wires (i.e. an ethernet cable or something). How is your PC connected to your DSL modem? With wires? To do it all wirlessly you are going to need a wirless router. Do you have a router?

5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Does your DSL modem have more than one outlet for connecting computers?

If so, you can connect an Airport Express to one of the empty outlets, and your Powerbook will be able to talk to the modem wirelessly.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The best way to do this would be to get a 802.11g router. You can go with Apple (either the Airport Express or the Airport Extreme Basestation) or you can get a 3rd party router. For your set-up, I would recommend a 3rd party router. Buy a brand name unit at the cheapest price you can find. Usually $40 after rebates and such.

Here's how you'd set it up. The DSL modem plugs into a phone jack. The router plugs into the DSL modem via Ethernet. The PC plugs into the router via Ethernet. The Mac will connect wirelessly to the router.

If you want to go Apple, the Airport Express does not have a separate ethernet port for the PC, so you'd have to get an 11g adapter for the PC.

So unless you want AirTunes or easy wireless printing, go with a 3rd party router.

ft

7. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

hm..so another router eh? I thought maybe I could just use the DSL modem and connect it differently, but whatever. ok but I also want to use my printer so I should move to a third party router then huh? so how would that work?

sorry its been two yrs since I use my knoledge from my networking class, I even forget what excatly does a router do.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think it would help if you listed exactly what kind of gear you have. From what I can infer, you have a DSL account and a PC with ethernet (I'm assuming that you're connecting the PC via ethernet and not USB). I know that several DSL providers are shipping DSL modems that are actually wireless routers. Is your DSL modem actually a router as well?

Assuming that you have a basic modem, you'll need a router to take the IP address that's provided by the DSL vendor and split that among the computers that you want on your network. The router handles all of the traffic between the Internet and your computers as well as between computers.

Since you want to do wireless printing, it's easier to use the AirportExpress. However, you'll need to make sure that your printer is supported. Also, you'll still need another router since the AirportExpress only has one ethernet port (and it would be tied up with the connection to the DSL modem).

My suggestion posted above still stands. Buy a 802.11g router (look for a Linksys WRT54g since you've expressed interest in wireless printing - more on this later). It'll set you back about $40. You can add an Airport Express to this network for Airtunes and wireless printing. If you get the Linksys router mentioned above, you can link the two together to expand the depth of the wireless network. Otherwise, the AirExp will just be another client on the wireless network. You'll still be able to print and play Airtunes, you just won't get the added benefits of extending the network.

Hopefully, I haven't added more confusion. Let us know the exact make and model of the DSL modem you have. You might just have the necessary hardware already.

9. Meags816 macrumors newbie

Not so much a reply...

As another question. I am looking to make the switch from PC to Mac myself, and have a wireless question. Currently, my parent's computer is connected to our OptOnline hookup, directly. We then have a wireless router D-Link 520 connected to that which then allows MY PC, which is up on the 2nd floor to connect wirelessly (I have the wireless card thingie installed on my computer). Now...when I make the switch, I will probably briefly network my computer and the iBook I plan to buy directly, to transfer files etc. And the iBook will come with an Airport card built in. I will then disconnect the PC and use my Mac as my main computer. (While the main computer in the house is still my parents on the 1st floor).

The question being:

How do I go about connecting the Mac to the downstairs computer wirelessly? Do I need to get an Airport base station if we already have a router in the house? Can I take the wireless antennae card thingie OUT of my PC and use it with the Mac? Will the Airport card connect to the D-Link router?

I really want to have this figured out before I bring the computer home so I can connect as smoothly as possible.

10. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Yes, the Airport card will connect to the D-Link router. You don't need anything else.

11. Meags816 macrumors newbie

So can I just plug the Mac in and turn it on? What steps will I have to take to get the D-Link to work with the airport card?

12. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a Speedstream 5100, manufactured my Efficient Networks, there's only two outlets in the back, one says DSL and the other says Ethernet. This is how its set up, the modem DSL line goes out to my phone line, then the ethernet line goes into my computer, I dont know if that helps in any way.

I just didnt want to have cables and cables and devices around, but it looks like there's noway there. Thanx anyways guys, I'll check into the routers.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Pretty much, you will have to turn on Airport in your network preferences. The Airport works on DHCP connections just fine. I recommend LinkSys though, not D-Link (but whatever).

14. prp134 thread starter macrumors regular

so then I should get an airport express and a router? or just the third party router?

how would the printer be connected to the network?

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Just the router. The Airport base station is a Router, but IMO not as many options and cost effective as a LinkSys, or D-Link for that matter.

For sharing the printer. Just connect it to the a computer as normal, but you have to setup printer sharing in your system preferences (Print & Fax).

16. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

wireless router

at my house I have my DSL connected to a wiresless router. So what i do is I have my DSL connected into the router, and my desktop directly connected to the router, since it is also a wireless router it puts out a wireless signal so my powerbook and my other laptop allcan connect through the wireless network...I think it is made by linksys but it works great for me!

although the airport extreme is nice cause you can network your printer

17. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It depends on how much you want to spend. A standard 3rd party router will get you a basic set-up where your Mac will connect wirelessly and the PC can connect via ethernet. This will cost you about $40.

If you really want the wireless printing, you have a couple of options. You could try to use the PC as a print server. I'm not too sure how to do that with Windows, but I'm sure you could google up something. The downside is that the PC would have to be left on and not allowed to sleep.

The other option for wireless printing depends on what kind of printer you have. If you have a regular USB printer, the Airport Express would be the easiest choice, assuming it's compatible. The AirExp would connect to the router as another client (meaning the router would give the AirExp an IP address) and all computers on the network can print to it. If you get a Linsys router and mess with the firmware, you can use the AirExp to extend the network as well. It's called WDS if you're interested. With this option, you're spending $40 for the router and another $130 for the AirExp.

A slight variation to this option is to substitute the AirExp with the Keyspan USB server. It costs $130 as well, but it'll allow you to connect 4 USB devices onto the network for sharing. This includes printers, scanners, thumbdrives, etc. It's probably compatible with more printers than AirExp.

The last option would be to purchase a print server for your printer. It could be a USB server or a parallel server. Depends on what kind of printer you have. Basically, you plug the server into the printer, then you plug an ethernet cable from the router to the print server. All computers on the network would be able to print to the printer's IP address. Theoretically. A lot of these print servers do not list Mac compatibility, and when they do, they claim that on Postscript printers will work. I've never messed with these print servers, so I can't comment on how compatible they are. They range in price from about $50 to $100.

What kind of printer do you have?

ft

18. ChuckF macrumors newbie

I have a similar question. I just got my ibook and was thinking of getting the Airport Extreme. My current DSL line does not use a modem as my neighborhood is fiber optic. Can I plug my CAT-5 line directly into the Airport Extreme and then route it to my kids PC and then connect wirless through my ibook? <br> Also I have an Airport Express, can I use that to extend the range of the wireless network? <br> Thanks from a new Apple user.

19. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

I am trying to do that right now. How exactly can I wirelessly add an Airport Express to an existing network (wired and wireless)?

My DSL gateway/router is a 2WIRE HomePortal 1000SW with wireless, also one Ethernet port and one USB port.

TIA.

20. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Yes, exactly as you described.
    Yes. Use AirPort Setup Assistant and AirPort Admin Utility.

21. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Chuck,

In theory, what you plan to do with the AirExtreme is doable. Most people have a broadband modem, and it seems like your neighborhood is a little different. If I were you, I would look into the specs for the neighborhood network to see if routers play well with it. Ask some neighbors to see if they've set up home networks.

If others have used home networks without a problem, adding the AirExt won't be a problem. I'm no network expert, but one potential problem that I can see may be that everyone's on the same subnet. But like I said, it may not be a problem at all.

Also, the AirExpress will extend the network of an AirExtreme. It will also extend the network of a Linksys WRT54g with the addition of 3rd party firmware. The Linksys can be had for $40 while the AirExtreme is much more expensive. The biggest advantage of the AirExt over the Linksys is the wireless printing, although you have that covered with your AirExp.

ft

22. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

sacear,

I don't quite remember all of the steps, but it's actually quite easy to figure it out once you get started in the right direction. For the record, I was able to do this with a Netgear WGR614 router and a Brother HL-1240 printer. The Brother is NOT on Apple's list of supported printers, but it worked fine with the driver on Brother's website.

You will need to have access to your DSL modem/wireless gateway to do this. Make sure that if you have WEP/WPA on, you have the password handy. Also, if you use MAC filtering, add the MAC address of the AirExp on the list.

Then, use the Airport Assistant to set up the AirExp. You'll be guided to give the AirExp a name and passwords. I remember that there were two different passwords for the AirExp. Just keep track of them. Change the AirExp to "Client". I don't remember where the dialog box to do this is, but it's easy to find. You should have dialog boxes to add the WEP/WPA passkeys if required. The AirExp should have an IP address supplied by the modem/gateway and you should be in business for AirTunes and wireless printing.

I hope that helps.

23. ChuckF macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I already have a wireless network setup but its an older b version and wanted to upgrade to a faster one. Thanks again.

24. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, then you're set. The only this you need to decide on is whether you want an Airport Extreme or a 3rd party router. Personally, I would go with a 3rd party router since it's much cheaper. And since you already have an AirExp, I'd go with the Linksys and upgrade the firmware (I believe that it'll cost you some money for the firmware that allows WDS).

ft

25. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

My brother does this with both PCs and Macs in his boarding house. He offers free Wi-Fi to DSL as one of the perks of the house. Works fine.

I have our DSL router connected to a hub and then to our original Airport, slightly more complex but works fine.