Wireless internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tealcadillac, Feb 10, 2006.

1. tealcadillac macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2006
    I haven't made the switch to mac yet, but I'm planning to :]

However, (here comes the face-palming-very-noobish question), do you have to use Apple's Airport Extreme/Express for internet? Can you use like ... linksys or something on a Powerbook/iBook?

Thanks so much in advance :]
  2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Yes, you can. I have a... no name brand router I believe, but linksys works fine, along with any other router. I had some complications when getting into my wireless network at home (other than adding the $ in front of the WEP code), but I called apple and they helped me get it working.

Don't worry, your mac will work.

You don't need to buy an airport thing, just make sure the computer has a wireless card in it. Which the new powerbooks and ibooks do.

BTW - entry level, I would go for 12" ibook. (dont get the 14", the screen is distorted and has same resolution. - not a great deal valuewise. 12" is incredible though)
  3. tealcadillac thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2006
    Ahh thanks. Just what I needed to know. :]

I'm not sure whether to get the 12" iBook or PB. From the posts I've seen here, everyone seems happierb with their PBs, but since this is my first mac, I feel as if I should just get an iBook:/
  4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey, this was my first Mac. I jumped in with both feet and I loved every minute. But with the intel transition right now, I'd probably go for the 12 inch iBook. That'll last you 2 good years then you can get an intel model after all the software is native. That's my suggestion.

And I have a linksys router and it works just fine.
  5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Honestly, I'd go with the ibook. The powerbooks are very tempting, but being new to a mac, I'd go with the ibook. Better value deal considering you're new to the computers. I recently switched too and went with the 12" ibook.

Like heb said. the 12" ibook is going to work for me for 2-3 years (considering how long it lasts) and then i'll switch to an intel laptop once everything's nice and native.
  6. cgratti macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    Central Pennsylvania, USA
    The brand of the Router wont matter, as long as its 802.11G or B.