Wireless Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laughingbabe16, Jun 28, 2006.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

Hey guys. I have a question/problem regarding using the wireless internet on my MacBook. Since I got my MacBook, my sister hooked up the computer though LinkSystem, since that is the only option we have at the house. We have Cable internet with a Wireless-G BroadBand Router that helps the downstairs computer link up the the internet. Well today, we had the power shut off in the house because we are getting a few rooms painted with new electrical outlets put in. I went to on my MacBook today and I found there was no internet connection. So I went under and clicked on Linksystem but now it asks me to give them a password to connect. I dont know a password and my sister can't remember if she did or did not put one in to connect. Please help me!

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I can't find a company called LinkSystem that sells wireless devices on Google.

Did you mean Linksys? The default admin details for the majority of their products are;
    User: admin
    Pass: admin
    URL in Safari/Other browser 192.168.1.1 or .100 or .101 at the end.

The newer ones also come with a reset button on the back. You can use a pencil to push it in and it resets the router to factory settings.

3. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, you're right. Linksys.

So reset the router, then go back to MacBook, click Linksys under airport wireless connection icon, and type in admin for the password?

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Once you reset the router, you should be able to connect to it as a wireless client without a password - unless you're trying to administer the router by going to http://192.168.1.1.

You will probably want to do that at some point in order to secure your wireless network and make sure it's set up correctly, but maybe not have your sister do it this time.

Edit: If the power was off, how were you connecting through the router? Perhaps the router you were connecting to was a neighbor's?

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Once you reset the router it won't have wireless security enabled and you'll be able to reach the router's admin panel quite easily through your browser. Than, as mentioned by emw, you should enable security under the "wireless security" page. You should then enter the password you entered into the admin panel into your airport settings.

Its a lot easier than it sounds,

6. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

okay, I reset the router, turned the MacBook on again, and I have internet. Now going to this site, what do I specifically do? I need a username and password, do I create my own?

7. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Unless you live on a farm you want to enable 64 bit wep encryption. Also you'll want to name your connection, or SS-ID you can name it what ever you want. Typically with Linksys you need to also set the number of CPE's or computers in your house. As well you will want to set your own user name and password so that someone can't hack you with router defaults. Also you can choose if you want to broadcast your ss-id meaning do you want others to see your network ( i usually say yes)

Chris :)