Wireless iPods, Soon?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Digitimes claims that Apple is expected to launch an iPod that supports "wireless capabilities" to compete with Microsoft's upcoming Zune-branded MP3 players.

While Digitimes has not been an especially accurate source of information in the past, there has been a lot of buzz and discussion about wireless iPods as well as a new Apple phone, along with some possible middle ground between the two.

Steve Jobs was rumored to have been talking-up an upcoming Apple phone. Meanwhile, one analyst expects Apple to release a new wireless iPod this fall to compete with Microsoft's Zune which will feature over-the-air music downloads. Finally, previous Apple patent applications show that Apple has been working on this technology as well.

2. macrumors 68040

Grimace

I hope to god they don't use bluetooth. I've had nothing but bad sound quality with those types of headphones.

3. macrumors 68000

sam10685

well... i might as well give Apple and Nintendo my credit card number.

4. macrumors member

kenzbud

Knowing Apple, if they are going in introduce wifi/bluetooth, they will only add the feature if it is up to their standards.

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

Digitimes?

iBook G5 and PowerBook G5 Digitimes?

Yah right.

Sorry but I've had it with new iPod rumours. They'll come when they come and they won't be as revolutionary as we'd thought.

Massively fed up now.

6. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Wonder if the wireless ipod wont be the iphone, and the release of itunes 7 will also come along with the release of either?

Going wireless is inevitable, even entry level PDA's not have wifi (802.11b and g) and reviewers are critisising the mac pro for the lack of bluetooth as a default. The world is going wireless, its just a matter of time.

7. macrumors 6502a

vouder17

8. macrumors regular

I think they'll use 802.11 for wireless. That way, I can stream my music from iPod to Airport Express directly. Although Firewire/USB will still be the primary I/O.

9. macrumors regular

Whens Wireless USB coming? That could be an option.

10. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Compete with Zune? Seriously? Zune is even on Apple's radar?

Let me get this straight, maybe I'm mistaken. Is this the same Zune that was announced that it will "play music! videos! games! ... wait... no, we changed our minds... no games. And videos? Yeah we can't quite get that to work, it won't do that either. But it plays music! And looks like an iPod... except its a tad on the fugly side...."

Please. Apple already has something to compete with this, its called the iPod. Who needs wireless??

11. macrumors regular

DPazdanISU

meh

give me an iphone pda type device with that deflatable mouse that can slide into a slot when not needed and gestures :confused: :D

12. macrumors 68000

NATO

If they use WiFi with the new iPods, they'll need a chunky battery. When I still used a PDA, the battery life nose dived when you turned on the WiFi. . .

13. macrumors 68040

emotion

I'm thinking this too. I thnk the rumours of a new nano enclosure may also be the iphone. I guess we'll see but as Chundles points out this isn't the most reliable source of info (Digitimes).

14. macrumors newbie

Who is the competition?

I wish whoever posted this would get it straight - Microsoft is coming out with zune to compete with iPod. They are the one with the new product that will inevitably suck.

I don't understand why this post says that Apple is coming out with wireless capabilities to compete with zune - if nobody has wireless out yet, then there is not much a competition. And it certainly isn't Apple hoping to be the ones to catch up.

15. macrumors 68040

emotion

At least Apple seem to be avoiding standing still. That's a good thing as it's hard to stay at the top of the market forever. Especially when MS are concerned.

16. macrumors 6502a

Its going to be extremly tough to decide between a wii and a fullscreen ipod. I really want a wii.

17. macrumors 68040

emotion

I really wish Nintendo had thought harder about that name.

Then again I should be thankful they didn't call it the Puu.

:)

(Sorry).

18. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, it sounds like the next iPod's going to be a rather large update if half the rumors are to be believed.

19. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

The post says apple is going to compete with Zune because everyone knows almost everything about zune, with the exception of having a physical zune apple can at least stay on top by brining in inovative features before zune has them.

20. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Digitimes... Page 1... What has happened to the world! :p

21. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I didnt even think about the wii.... :eek: I still dont see why nintendo and apple cant get in bed together, they both would like to see M$ fail, and they both could profit from a aliance, just imagine, pluging the ipod into the wii and then shopping for music on the wii... :cool:

22. macrumors regular

I would also love that feature.:D

23. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well there are rumors that you will be able to download old nintendo games onto the new iPod.

24. macrumors 65816

Porchland

I thought Zune was not going to support wireless music downloads? So many rumors.

25. macrumors newbie

fuyutsuki

Wireless headphones ... maybe. Much needed but requires finesse.

Wireless iPod phone ... sweet. Much needed but requires finesse.

Needless to say, the phone iPod line needs a generation bump seeing as they're all approaching or beyond their first anniversary. Apple don't need to improve them to beat Zune, but they do need to improve them to create the buzz which will humiliate Zune!

Games though ... hmm. Sure I like Nintendo and the comparisons between them and Apple are often accurate, but they're worlds apart when it comes to focus. Maybe something someday. But not yet I think.