Wireless issues w/ new Titanium

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by EJG, Jan 4, 2003.

1. EJG macrumors newbie

I've always been proud of my Macs because of their superior design and engineering as well as the wonderful operating system. Only until recently have I been disappointed with the new Titanium due to it's poor airport reception. I'm told that the metal case interferes with the signal and that I should get an external 3rd party wireless card or external antenna. I think this is ridiculous and is poor design and engineering. I'm not the only one with this problem: the Apple support forum has many posts describing the same issue. I hope that Apple can do something about this soon. Has anyone here had this experience with the TiBook?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah there are problems with it. i have heard apple has done a good job of improving reception. if you are using it with an airport base station, that could be problems too. the aiport base stations arent that good and way over priced. i bought a linksys router, it cost me 100 dollars. it gave me 4 ethernet ports and i can go clear to the edge of my property and i still get a signal. not saying it will go a mile but the linksys is probably double the signal strength and plus you can unhook the antennas and with proper wiring you can put the atennas whereever you want. the airport is just awesome looking so easy to set up. plus its one of the few with a modem.also the linksys is a b**** to set up unless you have a pc. once you get it set up though it works just fine with the mac.

iJon

3. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Apple's base stations, comparatively speaking, do indeed, suck.

So does the wireless reception of the otherwise most perfect computer Apple has ever made, the Ti PowerBook, which is one of the computers I use at least a few times a week.

Put these two together, and it's a bad recipe to show off Apple wireless technology.

We've improved things considerably at the IT dept. by tossing up an Orinoco base station with external antenna. WAY better performance. Beats stickin' an Orinoco gold card in the side slot of the Ti and having a wire hang down for better reception. ;)

4. EJG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses. The problem surfaces mostly at work where we have a CISCO wireless router. It works beautifully with our iBooks, and does well with an older TiBook, but for some reason, the new 1ghz TiBook can't maintain a steady signal. I've read some posts that indicate that the problem may be a combination of problems with Jaguar and TiBook's poor antenna design. The problem also occurs at home in a computer to computer network sharing a DSL connection, but not as obvious. Whatever the cause, it's aggravating. Thanks....EJG

5. Bear macrumors G3

You should make sure the antenna is properly plugged in to the Airport card.

There have been reports of improperly connected antennas causing lousy reception.

6. Tommy! macrumors regular

If I buy one of these for school (my school has wireless networking), will I be screwed?

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I really wish I could find out how to disconnect the antenae from my linksys router + move them downstairs where better reception is needed. Can you help? I think I must have the same model of router - mine is a 4 port router with wireless built in.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

actually i have never tried. my friend who works in pc service at our business told me this. so technically i really cant verify this is true. its just that i dont see why he would make something like that up. he have have been misunderstood possible. since im not really sure you should check out linksys' site and see what they say. my friend could easily be wrong.

iJon