Wireless Keyboard and Mouse?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Shrek, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Wouldn't it be cool if Apple released a wireless keyboard and mouse that communicates with your Mac through Bluetooth (must have a Mac that is bluetooth-enabled for it to work)!

I think it would be great if they could last through 6 months of normal use without recharging.

And when you want to recharge, you just plug your mouse into the keyboard via USB (cable is detachable) and plug the keyboard into an outlet and bwala! You can even continue to use your keyboard and mouse as they are recharging and they will continue to recharge normally; then when it's done recharging and you want more freedom you can just unplug everything.

Would you buy such a product?

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That would be a neat product. I'm not sure if I would buy it or not, because for one thing, my current mouse and keyboard that I am using right now work fine. But, anyway, it would be nice.

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

it would be nice if just the mouse bit worked.

i would like a wireless mouse but not a keyboard. why? where are you going to take your keyboard, so for away that cables are impractical and that you can actually see the screen and usse the keyboard? also where are you moving, where there is something that the keyboard can do that the mouse cant. i know about typing but you only want to move around for presentations.

also, if the price was right (apple seems better at this now) then i would buy it. i would just leave the keybaord always plugged in.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

It would be cool, but not perfect or extremly usefull.

apple has bigger things to worry about, like HARDWARE.

5. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I can envision myself sitting across the room on my bed using a TV tray to set the keyboard and mouse on. ;)

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Uh... like, a keyboard and mouse IS hardware. Duh. :rolleyes:

7. PeteyNice macrumors newbie

Not a typical use for sure, but here is my story.

I hurt my back recently (better now) and was stuck in bed. I have taken to enjoying laying in bed and balancing my LCD on my legs. The wired keyboard would always get hopelessly tangled with the monitor cable. I invested in an traditional wireless kb and I love it. I would buy a kb that charged via USB or FW in a second.

8. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I wish Apple would make a backlit keyboard for all its computers, not just the 17" Powerbook. It would be really cool to be able to see the keys when the lights go out. Think about it Apple.

9. mikeylebeau macrumors newbie

10. PeteyNice macrumors newbie

If you have a PC and run XP. They are not compat. with anything else.

11. mikeylebeau macrumors newbie

12. PeteyNice macrumors newbie

I do not have any personal experience with it but according to the system requirements page:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/keyboard/wodbt_req.asp

"PC with a Pentium 233 MHz or higher processor

Windows® XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 1 and the Windows XP Bluetooth update"

13. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

They probably are "compatible," but in the same way that my Microsoft optical mouse is "compatible." I have no scrolling capabilities in Appleworks and other Apps, and the back/forward buttons only when they want to.

Whatever. It least it has two buttons.

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Apple will probably wait until the Bluetooth technology is a bit cheaper. Right now the MS Bluetooth wireless desktop is around $150. When the price comes down a bit more, Apple will probably make such devices.

15. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Well, Apple will just have to do better than $150. Microsoft overprices it's products anyway. :p

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I looked into this a couple of months ago. There are numerous reports of the Mouse (I only looked at it) not working with anything but an XP PC (the Mac asks for the 4 digit passkey for the mouse and the standard defaults do not work). Even worse there are reports that the Mouse only works with the supplied BT adaptor on the PC and the adaptor supplied does not work with some phones! People have said that the current Apple BT implementation does not support the HID (Human Interface Device) profile so NO BT imput devices are going to work at the moment. I even asked the MS people at the Apple Expo in London if the BT mouse worked on a Mac. They said that it didn't.

17. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

I had the logitech wireless duo set ... and to tell you the truth, i never really used the wireless keyboard much because it was fine where it was. its not like i'm gonna be typing in my dining room kitchen when my monitor is in my room.
    but the mouse that is wireless is a must-have. its not about the cord-tangling, but its just feels better that ur no restricted by a short-length cord.
    And if Apple does come out with a mouse, please make it 2 button!! and with a scroll!! and make it fit along the hand..cause the mouse that comes with the computers now just suck- looks cool but its just weird. and i hate going to have to press Ctrl to get the option menu of something. especially in photoshop and indesign.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Shrek--YEP---also did you order the imac or you still holding?

19. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

No, I did not. Apple greatly disappointed me and now I'm going to buy a PowerMac, just as soon as I get a steady job and can keep it for awhile and make sure that I am going to be able to stay there. The PowerMac is not exactly the machine that I wanted, but oh well. I guess I'll just get the cream of the crop from General Cybernetics. Here is the specs that I want:

;)

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Ouch!and-WoW!since it comes with pro speakers i would can the sticks and get the isub.on 2nd thought maybe it dont come with the pro's

21. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

No, it doesn't come with pro speakers. ;)

22. Glossybear macrumors member

a Bluetooth desktop set up would rock for lap-top users. Especially in this era of desktop replacement machines.

I've got an iBook, that I use at home and at work. Every morning I get in and attach the 4 or 5 cables into my iBook and then work away with a full sized keyboard and mouse.

How cool would it be if I could just drop my bag by my desk and start working without having to take the iBook out! Of course this would require a wireless monitor as well, but those are probably only 3-4 years off...

Pipe-dreaming...

23. Bear macrumors G3

It sounds like you could use a mini docking station/port replicator in the office.

24. Xero macrumors 6502

on the topic of mice:

Micro$oft BT Mouse: ive heard only bad things about this mouse. firstly, whats already been said here, but ive also heard that its not very responsive at all.

if you JUST want a kick-ass wireless mouse, forget bluetooth, check out the logitec mx700. i just got one of these and its the best mouse ive ever used. feels alot more solid than MS mice [not just weight wise because of the battery, but you can shake it around and it doesnt rattle like most MS mice do], its wireless, has probably more buttons than youll ever need, and the recharge station and reveiver are one unit. pretty handy. its nice to not have the cord there, and its nice for dvd's and iTunes if i want to sit on my bed and listen to music or watch movies without constantly getting up.

www.logitech.com if you want to check it out.

cant say much for wireless keyboards tho as i dont find much personal use for them.

25. Quark macrumors regular

Wireless Apple Keyboard/Mouse

I would buy a wireless keyboard/mouse combo from Apple (in less than one heartbeat) if they implemented any one of the following:

1. Rechargeable (Microsofts stuff isn't rechargeable, but Logitech's MX700 is and it is great, but I like the MS form factor better.)

2. The keyboard should come in a both types of layouts (DVORAK/QWERTY)

3. The keyboard should come in different styles: split/slanted keyboard, dipped keyboard, and the current style - flat

4. The quality needs to improved to provide better tactile feedback - just like on the new PowerBooks (those things are awesome!)

5. Backlighting, just like on the PowerBooks

Quark