Wireless keyboard sucks!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mymemory, Jun 4, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    And the mouse too.

Ok, I got a very nice 12" powerbook for my birthday with a 20" cinema display but I got too the wireless mouse and keyboard!

The mouse need new bateries each month, let say is ok, I can take that.

But the keyboard get so much dust! the texture of the plastic catch all the dust around, beside that the withe color doesn't help at all.

I am looking for way to clean it up but the cleaning beside being very difficult doesn't last at all.

To make things worse the border is transparent and I can see all the dus accumulating under the keys.

What I hate is that my brush can only go so far inside and now I can really tell the difference between the clean parts and the unreseachable ones.

In a few more months this facy keyboard is going to look liek crap, actually it already does.

Unfortunatelly I may have to get a regular apple keyboard because I can't stand getting my figers all dirty during the day and that is going to be morte money for Apple any way.

Some day I am going to do a mayor clean up of the thing and sell it if I can or put it back in to the box.
  2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    If it bothers you that much, you could always cover the keyboard when you're not using it.
  3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You could always replace the air filter on your furnace/air conditioner or try cleaning your place every once and a while.
  4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    Maybe this is extreme, but just a few days ago I cleaned out my whole keyboard by taking each key off. You can get all of the keys off pretty easily, but they will pop up at you. There's no harm in it, as long as you remember where each key goes. I didn't break anything, and it didn't seem like I really could. It took about 20 minutes for the whole procedure. Hope this helps.
  5. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
    i try and clean all my keyboards every month by taking off all the keys and washing them and putting them back on. it works very nicely.
  6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    i too agree the keyboard is a dirt magnet. I have so much weed in my keyboard its disgusting, you can see it all through the transparent case, it's actually quite amusing. I find weekly maintanience with a wet q-tip to get the dust between the keys, and a monthly cleaning works well, but you'll never keep it 100% spotless, unless you work in a sterile environment with acid free gloves.if it really bugs you, get a negative ionizer, cleans your air while at the same time filtering dust. it makes no noise and actually lowers the temperature in your room by 1-2 degrees as it circulates the air. my friend has one and i want to steal it haha :(
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Ok you got a dust,dirt problem who doesnt? what i want to know is how well that wireless keyboard works? funny that didnt make the mouse rechargeable, why dont you just get some rechargeable batteries for it with one allways ready to go?
  8. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    Logitech bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

the is rechargeable via a craddle and you can put recharger batteries in the keyboard. Rayovac sells a two AA battery charger and batteries that will recharge in 15 mins. i think it is about 1000 chargers or something like that. the keyboard and mouse is black, so you won't see the dust inside. although if you anal bout stuff matching, this isn't the choice for you so you will just have to clean out your keyboard. i would however put rechargerable batteries in your mouse.

9. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Just suck it out then

You could also get one of those cordless keyboard vacuums from your local electronics store. They run on 2 AA batteries. Just use it once a week and see if it works. Another alternative is to use your regular vacuum for your house set on low suction with the brush attachment. The key is to do it frequently so that the dust / debris does not get that far down through all the cracks etc.

If all else fails get a keyboard skin!!

10. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    I really like my Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. They keyboard does get a little dirty but it really isn't bad.
  11. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
    Blow It Out!

I have Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I love them! In more than six months I have replaced the mouse batteries once (two weeks ago) and so far I have the original keyboard batteries. Do you remember to shut them both off when you're not using them? Do you buy decent quality replacement batteries or the twelve-for-a-dollar junk ones?

As far as your dirt in the keyboard, I would suggest using high-pressure air to blow the crap out. And don't waste your money on a can of air, just take your keyboard with you to the corner gas station and put a quarter in the air machine. Hopefully it's the kind that has the little trigger that doesn't care if it's on a tire valve or not. In about two seconds that blast of air will completely clean every nook and cranny on your keyboard. And while you're at it, take the hose inside your car and blow the dust out of your dashboard switches and vent louvres too.
  12. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    You smoke weed near your computer?
  13. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    So do you smoke it? Or just throw it out--it'd be a shame to waste that weed man. Sell it to some dumb 6th grader who wants to act cool. :D :cool:

That is a great keyboard, but that price is outrageous. Search it on www.froogle.com. I was able to find a $59.99 deal (that's almost a third of what www.amazon.com is currently offering):