Wireless Linksys help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by veilsidegtr, Nov 5, 2005.

1. veilsidegtr macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook, and im tryin to get my wireless internet workin with my linksys wireless router....but i need some sort of password encryption cause apple reads things different from windows....i posted another thread like this yesterday and got a few hits...but nothing helped. Anyone? Thanks

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

I'm assuming that you have enabled the WEP features of the linksys router, used a password generate the WEP keys, and are now unable to get on the wireless network with your powerbook and that same password.

This is because Apple uses a different hash algorithm to generate WEP keys than most other manufacturers.

I'm also going to assume that you left most of the other settings at their default.

Connect your powerbook directly to the router using an ethernet cable. Open up Safari (or whatever web browser you prefer), and go to http://192.168.1.1. After entering the password to access your router (default is admin), click on the Wireless tab and then click on the Wireless Security tab. On the page, you should see a few fields: Passphrase, Key 1, Key 2, Key 3, and Key 4. By default, the router uses the first key in the list. Highlight the contents of the Key 1 field and copy that huge hex number to the clipboard. Or, if you want, write that code down on a piece of paper.

Disconnect your powerbook from the router, and attempt to connect to the wireless network. Now, when you are asked for the WEP password, paste that huge hex number in the window, or type it out from the piece of paper you copied it from. Its a pain in the butt, and you probably don't want to have to do this every time you connect to the wireless network, so remember to check the box remembering this password (it will be added to your keychain).

3. veilsidegtr thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i will try that, but i have even had trouble connecting it with the cord straight from the router.

4. veilsidegtr thread starter macrumors newbie

what is the username...cuase i know the pass is admin but i dunno the username...is it default?

5. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

If you are having difficulty connecting through strait ethernet, that could be a hardware problem with the router (bad ports, bad cable, internal defect elsewhere), or a mis-configuration of the router (DHCP not set up correctly, etc)

After plugging into the router with the ethernet cable, wait a few moments, and then make a note of what your Mac's network settings (IP address, subnet mask, router). The easiest place to find it is under System Preferences...->Network->Show->Built-In Ethernet

6. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

There is no username. It should be left blank.

7. veilsidegtr thread starter macrumors newbie

ALRIGHT!!! I got it to work, thank you VERY much for your help, i really appreciate it.

8. posideon159 macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm having the same problem, except when I try to load the 192.168.1.1 page, it says it can't connect to the network. I am currently connected through ethernet cable.