Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
No, it's not a sticking scrollwheel ;)

My wireless Mighty Mouse's right-click and the side squeeze button suddenly wouldn't work. The primary click, the scrollwheel and the scrollwheel click works fine. I tried fiddling with the preferences to no avail. I tried restarting, again to no avail.

Has this happened to any of you? What other things should I try before taking it to an Apple Store for a repair (it's under warranty for a year, isn't it?). I've thought of reinstalling the drivers, but I can't find it on the Apple site, and I lost the CD.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Every once in a while mine will start doing something weird like this. All I have to do is turn it off and then back on - the problem goes away.

It is annoying though. It's like "this is my all-time favorite mouse... except when it's my all-time most hated mouse". :D I absolutely LOVE it... most of the time.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Yup, already tried the on-off maneuver, that didn't help.

Batteries, either re-paried or brand new, didn't help either.

Guess it's off to the Apple Store for a swap.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Every once in a while mine will start doing something weird like this. All I have to do is turn it off and then back on - the problem goes away.

It is annoying though. It's like "this is my all-time favorite mouse... except when it's my all-time most hated mouse". :D I absolutely LOVE it... most of the time.

Exactly what happens to me. I really pisses me off. Its like Apple makes a design that just screams got to have. I mean slick two button plus the wheel (The wheels the only reason I have the stupid mouse). But, the cant even get it to f** work. Grrh.

MleB

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
Toronto, Canada
This is being reported elsewhere, too - not least of which, Apple's own Forums site. Aside from the work-arounds posted above (and mine, which is to delete the MM from Bluetooth and then have it be discovered new again - turning the MM off/on doesn't work here) there are no signs that Apple has acknowledged the problem and found a resolution.

As mostly noted, its looking like a driver issue - unless the design and build of the MM is fundamentally flawed, which wouldn't surprise me with Apple these days.

So for the momment it seems like 'deal with it' or take it back and use something else is the solution...

MleB

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Well, a resolution (of sorts) on this issue.

Finding that the right-click (and sometimes general connectivity) continued to be a problem, I scheduled a visit yesterday with a Genius at the Apple Store I bought it at.

As luck would have it, when he brought my MacBook out of sleep, it could not find the MM. He did what usually ended up doing it that event (removing it from BT, then letting the BT Assistant 'find' it again) and was able to use all the clicks on the MM. I did explain it was intermittent however, even before we opened the MacBook...

But then he rebooted the MacBook and while it found the MM and he was able to right-click, he lost control over tracking. His opinion - the MM was buggered. Of he went to speak to his superiors - he came back and explained that as the store didn't have any BT MM in stock (to replace it with), this would have to become an AppleCare issue. So though I was sitting at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store, I would have to call AppleCare personally to arrange a replacement. Let's just say disbelief crossed my face....

He filed a report online for them (and for this he needed my MacBook's serial number, not the MM's) and I then called AppleCare. After working my way down thru the phone tree, I got to clerk who put me on hold twice for some time, only to eventually come back and take down my mailing info for he MM switch. Then she wanted my credit card.

"Sorry?", I said. Well, they'd courier me a new MM, but wanted my credit card to ensure I returned the broken one. They sell a duff product, and then want my credit card to fix the problem in warranty? What would I do with a broken bit of hardware? I told her that wasn't going to happen and suggested hat she send the MM to the Apple Store, where I would do the switch. No way, as far as Apple Care clerk was concerned ("Call back Monday and speak to Customer Service") so I hung up and asked to speak to the store's manager.

Explained the situation and he, to his credit, asked what I would like to do. At this point I was a little pissed off at the process, so I said a refund (this more than a month after purchase) and he agreed.

So, I 'm back to the trackpad and stupid keystroke/clicks.

And my opinion of Apple, the quality of their equipment and, most especially, Applecare has been tainted - again.
Didn't buy into AppleCare when I first bought the MacBook - thinking I'd have a year to make that call - and it seems that I may not now at this stage. I would think nothing of sending my computer to a repair facility (properly insured, of course), but if Apple wants my credit card to do warranty work, forget it.

nurley

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
Wireless Mighty Mouse @#$$%$%^$%^&$%^*"?&*(%^&

I'm fed up with this product. Tracking is all over the place. It doesn't articulate, just meanders around the page, hardly following my prompt. Mouse set-up is fine, batteries are good but it seems sometimes Bluetooth can't detect the mouse.

Anyways, thank God for Logitech. My wireless MX Laser 1000 has faithfully worked fine on all my Macs. Why can't Apple do the same!?

Apple just needs to stop being sooo smart and just be good!

Specs: Mac Pro (INTEL, OS 10.4.10)
Nurley

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.