Wireless Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skibob1027, Feb 8, 2006.

1. skibob1027 macrumors member

Feb 8, 2006
    I'm new to the macrumors.com forums, so I don't know if this has been addressed before. I am getting ready to buy a new 20" iMac, but I would like to get the wireless keyboard/mouse combo. However, being a "switcher" from Windows, I would like to have a two button scroll mouse (preferrably the Mighty Mouse, rather than any generic wireless USB mouse). Does anyone know if Apple has any plans to release a wireless version of the Mighty Mouse?
  2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    They will almost certainly release a wireless Mighty Mouse, and many of us, including me, wish it would come sooner rather than later.
  3. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Jan 21, 2005
    This may be the worst idea. Take Apple's crappiest, most problematic mouse, and give it more complicated tasks to perform, like being wireless. Not a good idea. There are so many other great mice, especially from Microsoft. Yes, Microsoft.
  4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    actually, I think the one button mouse is really nice. I wouldn't trade it for the world. ( I know I'm in the minority though.)
  5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Fully agree here. I'm on my second Mighty Mouse after just a week of use, and this one's just as bad as the previous one.
  6. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    i am on your side, love the one button mouse love the multi functions (although i never use any of them other then the ball and side buttons).

not sure about wireless, never owned one nor do i see myself getting one anytime soon.. hate the idea of using batteries and adding waste to the environment.
  7. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    amen to that. granted, i've never used a mighty mouse so i have no idea what it's like, but i would most certainly take wireless over anything else. no cables, no tangled mess, etc. besides, bluetooth is absolutely wonderful. the beauty of os x is in the simplicity; it doesn't really necessitate the use of a multi-button mouse. why make things more complicated than they need to be? a single-button standard apple wireless mouse is totally the way to go.
  8. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    ummm, they make these things called rechargeable batteries...
  9. Alasta macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I personally believe that when a wireless Mighty Mouse becomes available, it will have a built in lithium ion battery, and some form of recharging station.

I haven't had any major problems with my Mighty Mouse but, every now and again, the side buttons appear to start rapidly and repeatedly clicking when they're barely even touched. Because of this, and all the other negative user feedback, I don't think I would buy another Mighty Mouse unless Apple were to release a new product revision to deal with these issues.

I personally find that the idea of having the shell of the mouse acting as the button is very ergonomic, and I wouldn't be upset if I were to go back to a mouse with only one button. However, I really couldn't live without a scroll wheel so, if I were buying a new mouse today, I think that I would end up buying a Logitech or Microsoft.
  10. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    built in lithium would be nice :) and I do know that there are rechargeable batteries but... well... I guess I wasn't really thinking when I said that.
  11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    I love my Mighty Mouse. No problems with continual use since it was released. I would buy a wireless version for sure :cool:
  12. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I have a wireless one button mouse and a mighty mouse. I now use the mighty mouse which I like very much. The wireless mouse chewed up batteries like crazy. I can't imagine how poor the battery life of a wireless mighty mouse would be.
  13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Oct 9, 2005
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    When I bought my iMac a few months ago, it came with the one-button standard mouse, so I promptly bought a Mighty Mouse and am very pleased with it. I definitely would be in line to buy a wireless version, both for my iMac and my PB. For the PB, I bought the MS bluetooth mouse and it works fine but it's so large and heavy that it isn't so great for portability. Also I didn't like that you can't turn it off when you're not using it. I then went out and bought the Macally BT Micro mouse and that works great for traveling. I like the fact that it has a charger rather than being dependent upon batteries. However, it's a little small and my hand tends to feel cramped when using it.

What would be ideal is if Apple brings out a BT Mighty Mouse with a charger so that the mouse is still reasonably lightweight and comfortable to use and yet easily rechargeable.
  14. skibob1027 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 8, 2006
    Does the current wireless Apple mouse have any side buttons that you can program, or is that only the Mighty Mouse?
  15. Kimi macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2005
    Newcastle, England/ Stirling Scotland
    I've got no idea why people like having one button. You can do less than you can with a multi button mouse (don't bother saying anything about using a keyboard, as you can do the same with multi button mouse). I can't see any logic in it at all.

Another thing I am confused about is the cost of the 'Mighty' mouse. £35 is a plain rip-off for a mouse of it's quality. I got one with my iMac, and man does it feel cheep. The plastic feels like it'll break with a small abount of force, the side buttons are very buggy and badly placed. Also the shape of the Apple mice. If they wanted you to use the ball and side button they would make it so you could hold it easy, but no they have to make it so hard ot do that it really hurts your hand to so so. Add in the inability to track very well. Over all I'd give it about 1/10, with that one being the fact you can click.

After only a few hours with the 'Mighty' mouse I was in PC World to pick up a Logitech MX-1000. Far better and it cost the same as it would to buy 'Mighty' mouse. A far better mouse in every way.

Why can't Apple make mice to the same level as theor keyboards, which I really love. Solid build and a very nice feel to them. I'll be interesting on how much a wireless 'Mighty' mouse will cost, chances are way too much for what it's worth.
  16. Alasta macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    You're right in that being limited to one button doesn't have any advantages, but I like the shell-click design of Apple's mice from an ergonomic point of view. When you click an Apple mouse, you utilise the muscles in your wrist rather than your finger, which I find to be far less straining when I'm using the mouse for long periods of time.

I think it's a fair comment that the price is a bit on the high side. We all expect to pay a premium for Apple product, but I don't think it's justifiable that the Mighty Mouse is more than double the price of a cheap generic optical mouse.

As far as the scroll wheel goes, I like it because I can control it with any part of the surface underneath my finger, unlike traditional scroll wheels which can only be controlled with the tip of the finger. Because I have a very long index finger, I find myself having to sharply bend by finger back whenever I use the scroll wheel on my mouse at work, which is very uncomfortable.
  17. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003

I've used the mighty mouse a few times before and have found it very nice to use, maybe if I use it more I could make a better judgement. I will probably buy a wireless mighty mouse though based on my usage so far.
  18. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    I wish the Mighty Mouse would go wireless, but I really have no problem with the wireless one button. :)
  19. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    Agreed. This is something you may not care at high school, but at old age, it is a different story. I have a lot of friends who's got variations of caarpal tunnel sysndromes.

I have not assigned the right side of my mighty mouse as ctrl-click yet, but I use the little ball to scroll vertically or horizontally. Scrolling vertically is a must have. I have also assigned that ball as the third button, even though I don't have second button. :) I just press the scroll ball to open links in a new tab in Safari. Very handy...
  20. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    no. it has one button as implied by "one button mouse".
  21. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    are there any other wireless/BT mice that do no require a separate station to recieve the wireless signal?
  22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yes, there are tons of them. What are your relative needs in terms of form vs. function? There are maybe two or three that match fairly, visually, with Apple hardware, and many more if this is not a concern.
  23. Wes Jordan macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2006
    Are there any bluetooth laser mice that look good next to a powerbook?
  24. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    I gave up on my Mighty Mouse a long time ago.

It's heavy, poor resolution, side buttons spontaneously click, doesn't register right clicks half the time, it gets very dirty easily, scroll wheel gets all gunked up with oil. It hurts after a while because it’s not very ergonomic.
  25. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Dec 23, 2005
    London, England.