Wireless modem & Router - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AlBDamned, May 15, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hi All,

We're finally getting Broadband routed to our flat next week (4MB Bulldog Broadband if anyone has had any good or bad experiences...) and I'm due to get a wireless modem to hook up my PB and flatmate's Toshiba Laptop.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality unit? I don't feel the need to pay double for an airport extreme set-up and so far, the D-LINK DSL-904 and usual Belkin and Netgear units have come up for scrutiny.

cheers,

Al

2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i have a dlink di-624

cheap, never had a problem with it and it is pretty darn quick

3. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Well, i have an 802.11G netgear i think, but i decided that i wasnt getting enough of a signal in my room, and since all i use are laptops w/ 802.11B, i figured i only needed an 802.11B router, and much to my suprise, Staples has one on sale for $5!! yes, thats right, it's a Linksys 802.11B wireless router, normally $60 but w/ rebates its only five bucks! so i put it in my room and now i always get an "excelent" connection strength, i have no idea how high quality this router is though, because i only use it in my room, so im never more than about 10' away from it, but the sale is still going on...

4. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I use a Belkin Wireless G router with my DSL, and I should say that it really sucks. Yes, I got it at a good bargain deal of $10 (plus taxes), but I don't like the way it keeps dropping the connection. I've read similar bad reviews about some of the Belkin routers. Although Linksys is usually priced much higher, I guess they probably are much better at this.

I've tried every trick in the book that I know of, right from moving it around (to where I can) to changing the wireless channel through the complete range and observing the Signal, Noise and SNR (most of my neighbors seem to have Wireless G too).

Since you seem to prefer a lower budget, I cannot recommend the newer Linksys routers that provide better connectivity even in environments where interference could be an issue...did I just recommend it??? :p

When it comes to wireless, don't focus only on the speed or the distance the manufacturer claims. Think about continuous connectivity and lost packets - that's going to be the biggest irritant when you go wireless! Like it or not, the wireless device quality combined with external interference could really frustrate you no end.

I may not use my setup for long, but if I could have another go at buying a wireless modem/router, I would choose quality over price and would also look at the other devices that could potentially interefere (like cordless phones, microwaves etc.). Your wireless experience won't be satisfying if your connectivity is not reliable. :)

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Here's my vote for the DI-624 as well. I had apprehensions buying a refurb unit for $40, but it ended up being absolutely awesome for the price. Highly recommended.

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

OK That's cool. The Di-624 is about £15 ($29) more than the 904 but I think it would be worth it. I wish I could get one for $40 though, in the UK it's coming out at about $160!!

Interesting that Belkin isn't getting any props - they seem pretty popular but the one at the office is often going wrong and the signal is weak as anything!

7. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

Thomson SpeedTouch 580. Absolutely rock-solid, just works and never had any probs. The build quility is sooooo much better than anything from D-Link, Belkin, Draytek, etc...

You may want to have a read on adslguide.org.uk for user comments about Bulldog. Nuff said.

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah the prognosis is fairly average for Bulldog, but it fits the needs and was ok'd by by flatmate's IT department for use on her Laptop, plus it's fast (supposedly!!), so we'll have to see how it goes. Having spoken to a fewin research they seem to be all pretty much the same in terms of initial customer service (also average!).

Having spoken to out IT guy here and some websites, I think I'm going to go with the 624 though. Just found it for around £40 which is quite good.

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Maybe wait to see what the next Airport Express revision has to offer (rumors suggest video + audio streaming). I have the original version and it works quite well... and seemingly more reliable than the linksys I also have. Then again, if you don't have a mac, I don't think you can setup Apple routers. Dang. NM.

10. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

No can do waiting for the next Airport as it's all being set up this weekend (with a bit of luck). And, although I have a mac I really don't see the need to furnish my house and damage my wallet any further by buying an Airport Extreme system, when most people would agree that other, less expensive (or simply not overpriced) units do the trick just fine. Apple is generally streets ahead in design but in this particular area, I think the base stations are a crazy price. It does seem the Alu PB's aren't the best with Airport, but seeing as I will never use it at home more than 20 feet away from the modem, I'm hoping it should be ok!

11. baummer macrumors 6502a

I highly recommend Motorola routing equipment. It's probably the best consumer router on the market. Wireless works flawlessly.

12. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Also recommended

13. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

looks like you have gotten a few votes for the dlink di-624

welll read up on it more i guess, but majority is pointing that way :cool:

14. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Well, I've just ordered the D-624 online for £40 or so and it should be delivered well in time for the weekend. Considering that it's got 4 votes here and appears to received a fair bit of praise elsewhere, it looks like a good choice. Thanks for the input guys – I'll let you know how the weekend setup program goes :eek: :eek: !!!

AL

15. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

i use a Lynksys and LOVE it no probelms hell i use it for Wireless to Laptop, lan to computer next to router and a lan goes into my room and it has NO probelms.. Dlink is a problem though i hate their products never going to buy them again..

1. Crash my system
    2. Tech support is a joke
    alot of random disconets...

16. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

"Uh oh!" .... I guess Linksys would also have been a good choice. We''l have to see how we get on. I'm fairly sure if it does get to problematic I'll just use a wire as it's not a massive amount to distance nor difficult walls to negotiate. I'll wait till the funds are in good enough shape to get a really smart one if it doesn't do th ejob but I sincerely hope it will.

17. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

dlink has never crashed either my ibook or my dads and brothers pc's

however i have heard him mention something about the tech support :(

well hopefully you wont have to deal with those fools!

Good luck!

18. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've got both Airport Extreme and Airport Express, and I think if you compare them to other G routers that also have a printer port they aren't so "crazy priced". Plus if you really want to get into it - there aren't many home routers that'll handle RADIUS, other than Apple.

Now if you want to argue "Apple just doesn't make a bare-bones router, and that's all I need" then I will agree with you. :D

FYI back when I had a 802.11B D-Link router I was extremely happy with it, so I'm a fan of the brand - but I do think Apple's are worth the money for what they really are offering.

19. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Apple just don't make a bare-bones router.... ;)

Seriously though - that's all I need for the time-being. Airport is probably the next step when feeling flsuh and needing to upgrade.

20. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

RE:

I have a D-LINK 524 with serverport and a range extender(even without the range is far!) No suggestions on the modem,as for routers...DLINK is the most Mac compatible and easy to setup.

21. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

RE:

I've never had a lost singal,the connection has a nice rate of packets,it is extremely fast and was easy to setup my PC/Mac network.

22. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Update

To all those who helped me out on this, here's an update.

First off, I cancelled the order for the 624 when I realised it wasn't a modem too (duh..). I then went out and got a D-Link G604 Wireless modem/router.

Sadly, our Bulldog account never happpened. They were absolutely useless and we cancelled it after waiting for six weeks (six!!). We then ordered Pipex DSL (2MB) and this was hooked up within 7 days and has since been superb.

I would like to say before I go any further - DO NOT GO WITH BULLDOG BROADBAND!!!! I appreciate some people may have had good experiences with them but they were perhaps the WORST company I have EVER had to deal with.

Anyway, once PIPEX got set up, I hooked up the G604 modem and spent about 2 hours configuring it. Luckily I had a copy of Mac Format which detailed how to set up a wireless router as the instructions were all windows based. Pipex had some online help but not for this model of router. Anyway, it was fairly painless. I then hooked up my girlfriends Wintel laptop very easily, and my flatmate's Wintel 'book needed to use the included USB Adaptor as her WiFI card is shot. The USB fob works fine (though I wouldn't like to try it with a Mac).

Reception: The G604 wireless unit pumps out a hefty signal. I live in a (3rd floor) flat so have not had a chance to really test it (would going into the car park be overkill?!) but at 25 feet it works perfectly. The signal hits my powerbook and the airport icon in the top bar is rarely lower than 3/4 and quite often it's full.

My g/f's wintel laptop picks up a full signal 100% of the time and several other local networks too that the Pwerbook cannot see. In fact, the Wintel kicks the Powerbook into touch as far as wireless connection goes, but I think that's the price for the fine looking Alu case vs the silver plastic of the Wintel.

Overall, I would wholeheartedly recommend the D-link unit. So far it's operation after configuring has been faultless and has not crapped out once. Don't expect great things if using it with an Alu PB over obstructed (walls etc) distances longer than 30 feet. With a clear line of sight the distance would conceivably be a fair bit more.

A good purchase!!

Cheers

AL