Wireless modem/router with Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VMAn, Dec 8, 2006.

1. VMAn macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2006

I've recently found out that I will need to purchase a new modem/router when I get my Macbook wirelessly connected to my broadband.

I've been searching the 'net for possible models. I read somewhere that Belkin has free-phone support, lifetime guarantee and is compatible with Mac so I was drawn towards them.

My questions relate to the wireless types (e.g. 'b', 'g' or 'n'). Now I know that the Macbook uses a 'g' standard wireless, but also read that they'd included 'n' capabilities but don't promote this.

My research so far has thrown up basic 'g' (54mbps), the next level up 'g+' (108mbps) and then 'g+' with MIMO technology. Will my Macbook be able to take advantage of MIMO or is it not worth the extra cash???

I had my eye on this model http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=272220 - has anyone any experience with it?

Can anyone make any recomendations of other modem/routers I've missed.

PS - I have a PC right now, and will look to connect that thru Ethernet cable and then have Macbook wirelessly so any suggestions need these capabilities. Thanks again!
  2. codo macrumors 6502

May 17, 2006
    England, United Kingdom
    I don't *think* the MacBook will take advantage of the extra speed.

Checking the MB specs:
    But, you might consider getting it anyway. More future proof?

I have the Netgear DG834Gv3, which I find to be very reliable. However, I think the whole g wireless is starting to feel a bit slow now, particularly with large files.