wireless mouse and FPS/gaming in general?

Discussion in 'Games' started by smeddy, Mar 24, 2004.

1. smeddy macrumors newbie

i have never used a wireless mouse, so bear with me if this seems like and absurdly obvious question.

i am planning on buying a PB when/if a new update ever appears. would like to do some moderate gaming (FPS, online) as well as real work. for real work, i want a wireless mouse. will it suffice for gaming as well? disregarding, for the moment, the issues of 2 buttons and a scroll wheel, do you get constant, speedy and accurate enough feedback from the wireless mouse to play a first person shooter effectively?

thanks for your help.

2. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Depending on the wireless mouse you get it could be diffrent for each one. I know that the Logitech Wireless MX series is meant for gaming as it has a better optical sensor and is quite fast i might add. I don't have any games on my computer at the moment, but my best friend has a gaming pc with the logitech MX 700 and he loves it and has had no problems, just make sure you keep the batteries charged. I would recomend the MX 700 as it has a charging base with it so you don't have to replace batteries often.

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I have the Apple Bluetooth mouse and speed is fine for me. Just played UT2004 today. Of course, the two button thing (or lack thereof) is an issue, but you know that.

4. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

A word of caution, if you're going to move to RF devices as a gamer. Lag on your internet connection can affect your playing, but so can interference/lag on your hardware when you start to cut wires. With the more modern mice and keyboards, I've been told that it actually works out pretty well, but it's still something to keep in mind.

I can see it now... You're fragging away on a Halo server somewhere, and the batteries die in your mouse. How much would that suck? :p

5. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Thats why i would recomend the MX 700 as it comes with a rechargable base for the mouse. If you charge it every nite or 2 you shouldn't have a problem with it dying in the game.

6. LoadRunner macrumors member

silly q, but if he purchasing a new powerbook he will have blue tooth built in. Why would he want an mx 800, when the mx 900 uses blue tooth. The 900 has an on and off switch and uses double aa. He can always use recharge-able double aa if he wants to.

7. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

the 900 does not have a on/off switch

8. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

The MX 900 would be a good choice although its not fully supported in MacOS X. The MX 700 is granted he'll have to plug the base into the laptop when he is using it though. I guess could set the buttons in OSX on the MX 900 but im not sure as i am still waiting for the G5. He did ask for wireless solutions not bluetooth solutions so i am thinking he would know about the plug in base as well for the RF mice like the MX700.

9. LoadRunner macrumors member

Every one I know who own a mx 600, 610, 700, 800 use usb OverDrive. Unlike the logitech mouse driver, Over Drive just works. It doesn't cause conflicts with the os or applications. It'll let you set scaling, and the dpi not to mention bind all 10 button to 10 different actions. You can have diffrent setting for diffrent applicaitons. I don't know if usb over drive would work with the 900, but I can't imagine it not, because it work with every other mouse.

If your going to get a new powerbook, they have blue tooth built in. With a blue tooth you won't need to plug in a dongle every time you need to use your mouse. Plus you can't loose the built in blue toot.

I know sevreal mac game who use the 800 and 900 mouse with their computers, and none of them complane about lag. And they are all avid q3a players.

10. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I'm using an MS Intellimouse Bluetooth on my powerbook, and have had no problems with it on Q3A. No lag, and I actually had to turn the mouse speed down because it was too sensitive.

Interestingly, although OSX won't let me assign buttons 4 & 5 to anything but expose, Q3A allows me to assign them to any function, so all the buttons and scroll wheel are configurable.

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have a MS wireless mouse blue. It works just fine for me, although I do use a desktop setup. Its more then fast enough! Its so nice not having a cable to get in your way of fragging:)

12. smeddy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the comments. my current computer is many eons old, and i have not kept up with the progress of technology. as a result the distinction between bluetooth and wireless is not clear to me--i assumed that they were the same thing. silly me.

i was thinking of just getting the apple wireless mouse, but it sounds like there are much better alternatives out there. i will have to do a bit of digging, i see, and see which will be best for me.

again, thanks for all the info.

13. nargot macrumors regular

I have this mouse and rave about it. It is FAST, responsive and the 7 buttons make life easier for FPS games.

14. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Yeah i have it too just haven't had the chance to play any good games lately. Waiting on the new Rev. so i can put the old WinTel laptop on the backburner.