Wireless mouse and keyboard worries

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gangst, Jan 5, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a question for y'all. Usually when I hook my Powerbook G4 up to an external display, I close the powerbook and press a key on the external keyboard. But my question is that if I was to buy the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse (bluetooth), once they were hooked up and I close the Powerbook, would the wireless keyboard waake the POwerbook up, as to my knowledge when you close the lid of a Powerbook it turns neaarly all functions off. So would a wireless Apple keyboard be able to wake up a Powerbook hooked up to an external display with the lid closed (clamshell).

Any of you guys know anything bout this? Would be really thankful for any help.

Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is sort-of an answer: I know that the wireless mouse is able to wake the computer. IIRC, there is in fact a specific option in the system preferences to allow wireless devices to wake the computer. So I don't think it should be an issue. I'm not at my iBook atm, though, so I can't tell you exactly where the option is, but it's pretty clear what it's for.

3. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers, I can see that now thanks for your help, I'l place my order now lol

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you found it, but just in case, now that I am next to my beloved iBook, the option is in Sys Prefs / Keyboard and Mouse / Bluetooth tab, and is called "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer." Have fun! :)