Wireless Music in my Bathroom? can this be done?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by marknicholls, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Is there anything out there so i can intergrate wireless speakers and a router, to work with iTunes, that i could have in a bathroom? Maybe a waterproof touchscreen that can navigate through music?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think you need an amplifier, that you could plug the speakers and the Airport Express in. You'd still have to control it with iTunes, though. We'll have to wait for an Apple remote, I suppose, or is there something similar already out yet?

3. Hattig macrumors 65816

Usually bathrooms don't have power outlets, so I think you'd have to power it from an adjoining room. I'm thinking that you could install some stereo flat speakers on the wall of your bathroom, with the speaker cable going back through the wall to the adjoining room into a small amplifier which amplifies the signal from an Airport Express. Use a Keyspan Express Remote to control the Airport Express, and hence AirTunes.

If the amplifier supported dual speaker outputs, then you could easily have the same setup in the adjoining room too (probably a bedroom yeah?) for the cost of an extra pair of speakers.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wireless Music in my Bathroom? can this be done?

Sounds pretty cool. Although, I prefer to listen to my music in my room.

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Bathrooms come with outlets! Otherwise women would be screwed! :D

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True. Where would they plug in their hair dryers.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not in the UK, they don't; there are lots of legal requirements about what the minimum distance is between a powerpoint and a bathroom or even a kitchen sink. You can only have a shaving outlet here in the bathroom. And lightswitches inside the bathroom have to be pull cords. Traditional flick ones can only be used for bathroom lights if they are positioned outside the bathroom.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I use a clamshell iBook as an iTunes "remote control." You can get them on eBay for $200 or so. Then just hook up some speakers and you're ready to go.

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

for your remote needs, check out the keyspan express remote.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/urm17a/

im guessing its availble in the UK as well, i've seen it in the apple store online. you dont get a monitor to see what is playing, but you can at least hit next track to move on.

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i always thought germany has the highest number of dumb regulations and laws :rolleyes:

both back in germany and here in boston i have about 4 or 5 outlets and plenty of light switches in my bathroom. thats what FI fuses are for.

btw: can't you remote control itunes with your cellphone. it uses bluetooth and "salling clicker". at least with my pda that works like a charm. and getting a waterproof enclosure for you phone or pda should be no problem.

11. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you prefer to listen to you music in your bedroom while your sat in the bath? Each to his own...

12. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

solutions
    1.Don't Bathe
    2.Pepto Bismol
    3.Imodium AD
    follow thoes rules and visiting the bathroom will be shorter so you will have no need for music.

13. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Strange, I always thought it was the US ;) Some time ago we had a thread about dumb laws and some US states really were over the top.

14. swy32x macrumors regular

iPod + iTrip + cheap FM Radio.

Works every time.

15. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

I was after a more geeky solution, i was thinking of a waterproof touchscreen that can be mounted on the wall, wireless speakers in the bathroom (built into the walls/side of bath) touch screen being able to control the music wirelessley via itunes....

Maybe a bit before its time...

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Nonsense. You'd just need to get a mini, a touch screen, and a tool belt, and you'd be ready to go. Though I find that I need to use the keyboard quite a bit with iTunes, so maybe you'd need a waterproof keyboard as well. In fact, maybe the combination of a waterproof keyboard (surely these exist) and a keyspan remote w/a normal screen would give you the most flexibility.

17. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Ummm, usually they do. At least in the U.S. they do. All new houses have GFCI circuits in the bathroom.

18. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

It is possible but the electrics have to be completely sealed off - it's a real pain. After the government amended the Building Regulations at the beginning of the year preventing a lot of amateur DIY work it's become impossible to do a large number of jobs yourself. If you want to do this you must use a qualified electrician or you risk a visit from a planning officer who'll make you remove it. If you don't get a visit then your house will become unsellable. More info here.
    In short it'll be expensive :p

19. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Can be done.

I have an Onkyo Amplifier that supports MRI (multi room interface). There are also many remotes out there that are touch screen interace. I have a Sony RMAV3100. Fully programmable for all your devices. Pretty slick.

Anywho, you could feed your iTunes from any source into an Onkyo amp (or similar), setup some wireless speakers as "Speakers B" into the amp, put MRI remote pickup in bathroom, and provide an waterproof enclosure (recessed in tiles even) for your universal remote. You can now control your stereo from your tub, and enjoy your tunes. Dont think you can control iTunes from this setup, but you can just setup playists for 'tub time' and go from there.

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't you just hate government increased employment initiatives.

ahuman7341, I'm understanding the first point but I've got no idea what you're on about for two and three. Any help'd be greatly appreciated. :)

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't think the UK laws are dumb. There is a HUGE number of accidents that take place in bathrooms in the US, most of which are avoidable. And while I cherish having those outlets in the bathroom, I recognize that perhaps there would be fewer incidences if the outlets weren't there.

22. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly what im after....ill have a look now :)

23. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Setting up audio in a bathroom is a fun D.I.Y. project, but here are some suggestions.

Forget wireless speakers. Get some nice in-wall or in-ceiling speakers and run wiring through the ceiling or walls to an amplifier somewhere. Most of the moderately priced wireless speakers are not spectacular. In addition, in-wall or in-ceiling installations will always sound better and require less amplification to get a balanced sound. Wireless speakers also need an outlet or batteries to run, and that requires either wires running in the bathroom or batteries which are a pain.

For control, you might want to try some of the RF remotes out there. The Griffin AirClick and Keyspan Express are both good bets. I have used neither of them, but there are endless user reviews.

At home, we have a hidden receiver installation in an adjacent room and then 8 speakers throughout the kitchen, laundry, and front bathroom areas. There is no direct control of the music while in the bathroom, but generally, in the mornings, there is a rush to leave so it's not that important to monitor playback very directly.

It's certainly possible to have some nice music in the bathroom if you take some time to work out the individual quirks of your house and opportunities.

24. macphisto macrumors regular

Control4 Wireless Audio

You should check out this solution from our company that I current work for: Control4. We have a product called a speaker point which serves as an endpoint for music streams (through in wall or external speakers). That is only one solution. You can also use one of our Mini Touch Screen as an endpoint and play the music through powered speakers, so that way you could have the touch screen and the music.

25. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

here is what you can do. i have seen this before somewhere on the internet but cant find it right now. you can get a touchscreen for the iBook clamshell (probably for newer versions of the iBook but you only need the power of a clamshell to play music, not to mention the clamshell can be found for cheap) ok, thats all ive seen on the internet, but here is what you can do with it.

experiement with some different types of clear plastics. lay the plastic on top of the touchscreen and see which ones allow the touchscreen to still work. get a large sheet of whichever plastic works. seal the plastic to something like a picture frame, but with no back. put the iBook into the wall and cover it with the frame. then seal the frame to the tile or whereever you are mounting it. maybe add a side access pannel way from water incase you need to change the computer or plug something in. oh yeah, you should put in the power cord behind the wall as well, so it is neat and tidy. then by the speakers (its easy to find water proof speakers) put an airport express behind a waterproof pannel (again you will probably want access to it for reseting or such. or easier put the airport express in a different room and just hook the express up to an amp that power the speakers in a different room then run wires to the speakers.

if you need any help, you can fly me over, and pay me a very small amount of money (but include room and board) and i will happily help you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.