wireless net in apartment what do I need?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Raidersmojo, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

I was looking at a refurb wireless port

for 99 dollars (it would be free after using the 179 dollars off when I purchase the powerbook) but do I need the wireless base station? the 200 dollar thing? my apartment is roughly 800 square feet. someone clue me in on what I need and the cost!!!!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Is the wireless net access already there or are you making one of your own? If it's already there then your laptop will pick it up - just make sure it has a wireless card installed, the Powerbooks have for ages and the iBooks have for the last two revs.

If you're setting one up, you'll need high-speed access, an ADSL modem and a wireless router. I have a DLink all in one thingy that I got for AUD$179. It has an ADSL modem, a four port router and an 802.11g router.

3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Well, unless you are just keen on having an all-Apple household, you could simply opt for a D-Link wireless router, a much cheaper alternative which is just as effective.

How far do you plan to have your computer from the router? You can get a range of over 300 feet with this router .

Now, since you can get the AirPort for free, it is worth a look. The difference between the Base Station and the AirPort Express comes down to the number of users it can support - 10 vs. 50 IIRC. The AirPort also has a range limited to 150 feet.

I'm sure others will come along to provide more detailed information.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As mentioned, the AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme will both work for you. If you're not using the rest of the $179, buy the base station - you won't need 50 users, but the ethernet pass-through or modem connection might some day be handy. Otherwise, get the Express, or, as mentioned, a 3rd party product. I prefer the Linksys WRT54G, esp. because there are some good hacks available for it. However, since you're getting an Apple rebate and I'm assuming it's good only for Apple products, get an AirPort (of course, maybe you're just getting $179 in cash, in which case get a cheap 3rd party product).

5. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

alright thanks guys! I figured I'd get the airport extreme base station. the EDU discount is great and the base station will only cost me 20 extra bucks...not bad.

putting my order in the 23rd more than likely if I don't see a PB upgrade...(which I won't) but I know if I order now then there will be one...oh well.

so come the 25th or so I should have a shiny new powerbook and wireless net streamed through this apartment woohoo!

oh I already have high speed internet. I just need to make it wireless