Wireless network help, please

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fredstar, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Yo guys, i would very much appreciate some help.
    Problem: Can't get reception where i want with my 'new' Powerbook. Big house, lots of walls, want to get connection in my room and in the play room - my old ibook and present iMac can connect with good signal (2-3 bars)- Powerbook has none unless i go about 5 metres nearer the router. I Can't wire up an extra wireless access points via ethernet to my present Belkin Wireless router (that connects fine with my imac)
    Solution?: Need a wireless access wireless network repeater?

1) So can i use any wireless access point (or is it brand pacific?) to act as a wireless repeater to my Belkin wireless router?

2) Do these things (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=629)
    Really work?

3) Even if i manage to extend my wireless network will my rev A. Powerbook even be able to send information back to the wireless coverage?...so i can actually use the internet.

4) I love the Powerbook design, but if i can't use the internet unless i am pretty close to the router then i might as well get a ibook for practical reasons.
    Would really appreciate any help guys
    Fred :)

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

1) You will need a repeater of the same brand to extend the range because there isn't a standard protocol for reapters. so the safestest bet is the match brand with brand.

2)yes

3)Depends on your house.

Another solution might be to buy a bigger antenna for your linksys. you can search online. there are two types omni directional and directional. depending on your house. there are serveral types large and small. i'd probably try the repeater first before I would try the antenna. there are also online free antennas you can make to fit your linksys antenna that will boost the signal. http://www.freeantennas.com/

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife's PowerBook was acting up also. In her case there was a problem with the antenna in the lid, which Apple replaced. If your PowerBook is fully functional the another option would be the AirPort Express to extend the range.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I agree or you can perhaps try moving your wireless router to a different point in the house to see if reception improves.

5. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

There is a real issue with this and our noise on our adsl line, they had to add noise filters or something to this particular phone point , so the Belkin wireless router is confined to near there.

I guess i will try the Linksys range extendar and see how it goes, they are pretty expensive really at £45 but i would love to use my Powerbook around the house whereever i go.

Wdlove - did ur wife's pbook get any reception at all? even nearer the router?
    I found when i get about 1 bar i can't actually browse the net but when i go within 5 metres of the router i can surf fine. Hmm, i think the biggest problem in our house is the shere number of walls the signal has to plow through to get where i want to browse.

6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i moved the router to a closet in the dead middle of my house and now i can get reception anywhere i want to go, wether its the deck or my bedroom... no problem. Try moving it.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    do u have any microwaves or cordless phones near the router

that could also be source of interfernce try moving those away

8. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

I don't get any interference from our cordless phones, my imac in my room gets good recption (Powerbook gets none) and i had an ibook G4 that had reception in our playroom, again Powerbook has none and nothing has changed since then.
    Maybe the Belkins range is just pretty crappy, i am considering just replacing it with a router with a very good range such as the Netgear DG834G

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

btw i don't think the linksys range extender will work with a belkin. i thought you had a linksys router. i could be wrong though. i have been happy with dlink and linksys routers. my friend who used to install netgear products in small businesses at his work always felt like netgear quality wasn't that good i.e. he had to fix them quite a lot, but some people really like netgear. just a heads up.

10. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

I read somewhere that all Uk wirless routers have to limit their wireless range...is this correct?
    I am not sure of the figures but they were all restricted, so is there any point of getting a wireless router with better range like the Belkin Pre-N?
    i have the Belkin F5D7630uk4A and annoyingly this does not have support for WDS so i guess wireless briding is out of the question and a new wireless router is the answer

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i am sure they do. in america at least there is a federal agency the regulates the air waves, and they limit the ranges of things to cut down on interference between devices. I am sure they do the same there.

12. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Ok guys come to a v cost effective/possibly best solution:

Belkin adsl modem/wireless router
    connected via airport
    to Imac (gets 3 bars of reception)
    Ethernet out (turning on shared internet via Ethernet)
    to Access point
    Connected via airport
    to the Powerbook

Can anyone tell me if this will work?!
    Access points are pretty cheap now so it should be the cost effective solution.
    Only problem i can think of is the imac not sending a unique ip to the access point and the Powerbook...??

13. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar