Wireless Network Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gdprof27, Aug 8, 2005.

1. gdprof27 macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Hey gang,

This forum has helped me with every single one of my purchases, from my PB to my iPod. I am now looking for some wireless advice.

My wife and I are moving into a new apartment. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, living room and a loft. In total, 984 square feet which I would like to cover with a wireless network for my PB and my wifes Dell Inspiron notebook. We will be getting DSL

I need suggestions on routers and placement locations. For instance, is it better for a network for the router to be placed in an elevated location like the loft? If I decide to go with the Airport Express or Linksys, can it cover the entire apartment if placed in a central location?

Need the help of the gang here to help me maximize my wireless experience! Thanks in advance!
  2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo

You will love wireless.

I have a 2 story 3500 sq ft house with finished basement. I initially had my router on the top floor in the kids 'playroom'. Had sketchy reception in the basement, but main and 2nd floor were stellar in all rooms.

I've since moved the wireless router to the music room on the main floor. Coverage everywhere, even outside on the deck, in the basement, and upstairs in all the bedrooms. Complete coverage, and works fantastic.

Concrete and steel walls are pretty tough on reception, but if you have none of that, then no worries. You should pretty much be fine wherever you place it, but being more central is likely best......
  3. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    I have an Airport Express on the middle floor of a 3-story townhome.
    The actual rooms are similar to what you describe.
    I've had no issues with reception anywhere in the place.

I know that the Express isn't the cheapest router you can buy, but it has performed flawlessly for me AND it is great to take on the road when I travel.

Good luck!
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Here are some tips that I follow:

1. Place the router as close to the center of the network as possible.
    2. Keep the router as far away from microwaves, cordless phones, etc.
    3a. If you want to cover 3 floors, place the router as high as possible on the middle floor.
    3b. If you want to cover 2 floors, place the router high on the bottom floor.
    4. Signal is weakened by walls. Try moving it around some for the best results.
    5. Channel 11 usually has the best results. If channel 11 isn't working well, try 1.
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    It's very hard give general advice on wireless range as there are many unknowns.

Typically one basestation should be enough to cover an apartment of your size through normal walls, but any brick or concrete walls will decimate the signal.

I would try with one Airport Express near the DSL or rather near your hifi and/or printer and wire it to the DSL (via a router or if the DSL modem has a built-in router, like my netopia, a switch/hub).

If you get any blind spots, get another AE and use that to expand the network (if moving it a bit around doesn't help or create other blind spots).

The Airport Expresses might be a bit more expensive than the cheapest options out there, but AirTunes, ease of use and quality make it totally worth it (IMO).
  6. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    I have the D-Link DI-624 in my parents house, 3000 square foot colonial and have the router in the office which is off to one of the corners right when you walk in and have full reception everywhere: upstairs, main floor, downstairs, garage, deck, patio. Never had a problem with it.
  7. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Two Airport Expresses do not fit into the budget. I can get one and put it in a central location...I will probably not have it hooked into a printer because the location I have picked out for it would not accomodate it.

If we are looking at routers besides the Express...who has reccomendations on the best range?

Would it be Linksys or D-Link?

Also, does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL and which equipment compliments it the best?

Thanks guys!