Wireless network problem... (Help me prevent a disaster)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dale Cooper, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Hi,
    I resently made my girlfriend a switch and buy a macbook. But now she’s having som trouble connecting to the wirless network in her appartment, and I don’t understand what’s wrong. She lives some thousand kilometers from me right now, so I haven’t been able to get my hands on the machine, but I hoped someone here could help me give her some good advice (she’s threatening to throw it out the window...)
    Her two (windows) roommates connects to the network without problem, and she can also connect directly to the DSL-modem without problem. They connect through a PPPoE setup, and the problem occured after they changed the password and username (after buying a new download quota). They didn’t make any changes to the wireless router though, and that’s what seems so strange to me. She can connect to the wireless network, but the network diagostics says ”fail” on ISP, Internet and Server.
    We’we tried entering the PPPoE details in the network system prefs, but that didn’t help. I’m guessing It’s got something to do with the wireless router, but that’s kind of strange since nothing has been done with it. Hope this explanation made at least a little sense (it’s hard to explain since I’ve only been told this through MSN myself..)
    Does anyone have any suggestion on what to try? Hope I can help her fix this quick, before she decides switch back....

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I imagine she should be connecting through TCP/IP rather than PPPoE because the router probably already has the PPPoE taken into account. Of course, if the PCs connect via PPPoE then ignore me. :)

Does the network need a password? What sort of security does it have? Sometimes a dollar sign ($) in front of the regular password can help a Mac connect to a secured wireless network.

Do you know if the PCs have any non-default configurations such as customised DNS server settings or proxies? :)

3. Dale Cooper thread starter macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Thanks for the advice! Never got to try it though, cause suddenly it started working today:eek: Strange...

4. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

5. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Are you saying this Windows trick works on a Mac, too, since they switched to Intel? ;-)

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Actually, this trick works even for older PPC Macs. More than on one occasion some of my glitches have been corrected by restarting.