Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanahelen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Hey everyone,

I know there are probably a few threads here devoted to these issues, but after a quick scan, I think I'd probably benefit most from starting a new thread. So here goes...

We're running a wireless network at home. The network consists of two PCs and my iMac G5. One PC is not on the network wirelessly so really doesn't come into this issue.

My problem basically is that I'm constantly getting booted off the network. It's as though the other PC using the wireless network has priority.

My Mac goes through periods of sometimes "seeing" the network but not connecting to the internet, to just plain not being able to see it. I can only connect if the other PC is not connected to the network/internet. I can get about an hour or two of online time with the other PC switched back on, but as soon as my computer becomes idle or enough time has passed, I'm booted again.

This is becoming extremely frustrating for all of us.

Any ideas?

alanahelen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Sorry for not being specific in my first post :)

It's a DLink DI 524, 80.11g/2.4GHz.

Thank you for answering so quickly :)

alanahelen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
This is kind of embarrassing... it seems to be that the iMac was just too far away from the router. Is there any way to improve the reception on the Mac?

alanahelen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
It appears that its a 'distance' error - the iMac is just too far away from the router. Which doesn't really make sense to us, as the iMac was living in the same room as a PC with a dodgy wireless card for years, and the PC had no trouble.

I've got the iMac set up downstairs now, practially on top of the router, and have enjoyed excellent access to the network and internet - so that is clearly the issue. Is there some way to boost the iMac's reception?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.