Wireless network programs : KissMAC, MacStumbler.. etc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZenNerd, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ZenNerd macrumors member

Jul 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Which program do you use and what are it's relative merits. I'm looking for something with more detail than the built in Airport software. Any help is appreciated...
  2. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    KisMAC beats everything. It has the most features and is very easy to use. MacStumbler only searches for wireless networks (and doesn't do a good job compared to KisMAC). I think MacStumbler can find and connect to some but KisMAC can find and connect to almost everything.
  3. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Kismac is good because you can do a passive search. As in your computer just accepts data from wireless access points and laptops, and does not broadcast that you are in the area. So you can stay hidden from everyone while picking up everyones traffic. Then there are some nice tools in helping with cracking encryption keys that come with Kismac.

MacStumbler is more of just find and access point kind of tool, while Kismac is really for the cracker and network junky.
  4. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
  5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    But can you use airport extreme in passive mode with Kismac? I haven't used it in a long time, but earlier it din't have this capability.
    So in that case, how do you crack passwords?