wireless network question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flyfish29, Sep 15, 2005.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Getting ready to purchase an inexpensive wireless router for my home network. I would like an airport, but have to settle for either the Linksys or a Netgear I think. I have seen both recommended here on a previous thread, but have these questions.

First question: How secure would my wireless be using one of these routers? The linksys says only for MS computers- but assume you would just download a version for Mac? Or do I just use the Apple provided firewall stuff for securing it?

Second question: How difficult will it be to set up a secure network for myself using either of these two brands of routers?

Third question: I would only be using two computers or a computer and a PS2 at the same time, never more and most often just connecting one device. Am I ok to go with just a basic wireless G router or would getting one of the "super G" or other faster routers be beneficial? (see below for what I am connecting)

I have a G4 iMac using ethernet, an HP printer with usb to the iMac to share printing, a playstation 2 using ethernet and two iBooks using airport cards all using a cable modem with roadrunner. Running Panther on iMac and one iBook and Tiger on another iBook.

thanks for your help!

2. Super20 macrumors regular

No sure if this will answer your question....
    I have a Belkin 54G wireless router (which I paid $9 for). I'm running my PC wireless and also my powerbook. Very easy to set up. Security features are set up on the router firmware itself (which you can access), it has a couple different encryption options. My network is very safe. I had my brother try and hop on with his laptop and he couldn't get on.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't have much experience with either, but I think you'd probably prefer the Linksys.

Either router is apparently very easy to set up and depending on what form of security you use, they're equally safe too. Once you've bought one, we can talk you through setting it up as securely as possible. :)

4. belvdr macrumors 601

The Windows-only portion of the Linksys is the CD they ship with it. You don't need it, as a web browser is used to configure it.

5. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

thanks for the info so far.

Does anyone else have reviews of the Belkin wireless routers?

What about the routers faster than 54...super G, etc that claim they are faster- is this necessary given my set up and use expectations? Is this even beneficial to Mac users?

thanks!

6. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Wow- where did you get it for $9?

7. belvdr macrumors 601

I am almost certain that anything above the standard 54Mbps is proprietary. So, for Linksys 108Mbps, you must have a Linksys card that supports the 108Mbps, not just any Linksys card.

I have had zero problems from the Linksys WRT54G, and I mean zero. No need for reboots or anything.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Absolutely true. Your AirPort Extreme card will slow everything down to 802.11G speeds, completely negating the benefits of a 108Mbps wireless network. :(

9. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Get the Linksys WRT54G. It will suit your needs perfectly. You do not need any speed boosting.

10. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

I use this Belkin router but I'm from the UK so I don't know if this link is useful to you, mine was easy to set up and it has been very secure so far.

Belkin F5D7630-4A

11. Stevp1 macrumors regular

as has been said already, this is absolutely correct. ALL of the current speed boosting technologies are proprietary. Even the new MIMO devices are companies interpretation of the new standard, as it has not been ratified or approved yet.

12. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I've got a Linksys and a Netgear. The linksys has always been a problem, needing to be restarted on a regular basis and the range is not very good. The Netgear has a much better range, the initial setup was done with literally 4 mouse clicks and has not been reset at all in the three weeks I've had it so far. The Linksys is terminally ill due, I think, to a voltage spike down the phone line.
    fwiw, the Linksys also looks like a mutant Lego brick and the Netgear is smaller and white, sort of Apple-looking.