Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
I just bought a Linksys wireless router today to take advantage of my Tibook's airport card. I have the main line connected to my PC and access it wirelssly with my powerbook. My question is, how do I know if my setup is secure? I mean once I connected my cable modem and router to my PC, I turn my powerbook on and BAM! I'm on the internet, zero config. I like the zero config, but I live in an apartment, so what is keeping someone in my building from doing the same thing I did with my powerbook and moochin off my connection?

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
Try this thread. It's a discussion about setting up the security features in Linksys routers.

Basically, you're going to do two things: one, turn on WEP encryption, to keep your data secure; and two, disable SSID broadcasting, to prevent just any schlub with a wireless card from seeing your network.

These two things won't make your network hack-proof, but it's enough to keep out the casual network snoopers and enough to tell more advanced snoopers "This is a closed network, look elsewhere for an easier target."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.