Wireless network set up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by colinet, Sep 29, 2005.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

This is a bit complicated. I have a dual 2gig G5 and the modem has packed so I bought an extreme base station with modem which works fine. Also bought an airport express to extend the range.

I have to say the range of these products is pathetic. So I bought a Belkin Pre-N router. This is designed to take your broadband/DSL modem in the back plus has 4 ethernet ports. In 6 weeks or so I will have high speed wireless broadband but at the moment I only have dialup (rural Australia). So I set up as follows -

Extreme base station into phone line - LAN ethernet on Extreme station to WAN connection on Belkin - ethernet port on belkin to G5 - result no internet on G5. Should I connect extreme to belkin via ethernet not WAN port? Or what?

Haven't even tried to use express in house with this set up yet.

Or should I justleave te Belkin on the shelf until I get the broadband?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It'll be easier without the Belkin. I don't quite understand why you need it.

Having said that, you still shouldn't have any problems connecting to the internet, irrespective of the Belkin being there or not.

3. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Because te Belkin Pre-N has a MUCH greater wirelss coverage s I basically want it to extend te range of my network.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The Belkin won't be able to extend the range of an AirPort set up AFAIK but will rather simply add onto it.

Each extra extender you add to a wireless network halves the bandwidth so think carefully about how many you need. I recommend going with the AirPort Extreme and Express. :)

5. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

The Belkin Pre-N has a MUCH greater area coverage than any of the airport products and even thougm I am a big Apple fan, I think when my wireless broadband arrives I'll sell the airport stuff and just go with the Belkin. The range of the Aiport stuff is rubbish. They can't even see each other reliably 50 feet apart (wooden walls + maybe one thin tin roof)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. As long as you don't mix companies because as yet, they can't realistically extend each other's wireless range.

What channel are you running the AirPorts on? You may have more range if you change channels in the meantime. :)