wireless network settings?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whaleboy, Feb 18, 2007.

1. whaleboy macrumors member

Where can I find the wireless settings for a given wireless network (such as WEP, WPA, Password, etc)? I was there once, but I can't find it in system prefs/network settings, or anywhere else...

The net is set up now, but the initial setup took forever. The mac only gave me options for WEP even though the wireless network is WPA, and it took an hour of screwing around before I stumbled on the dialog to change the security settings. Now I've lost it again...

-David

2. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

If it's an Airport, i assume you can use the Airport Admin Utility in Appliations>Utilities folder.
    If it is another router, i am not sure but i would guess there may be software or some way to access it.
    hope this helps..

3. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

another thing to do is once you find it click that box that says something like "keep this password in keychain" or whatever, so that your computer doesn't ask you for the password each time.

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

go
    sys prefs
    network

Show: Airport
    By default join: Preffered Networks

then either EDIT or ADD a network and you have the choice of choosing WPA or whatever,

5. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i tried to attach a pic of what i did, not sure if it will work because i dont' really know how to do it:p
    hope this helps

Attached Files:

6. whaleboy thread starter macrumors member

smueboy... I'm trying to check the settings for the Macbook pro, not he router... I can set the router settings thru my PC, which is wired.

ebouwman... Thats it. The join setting defaults to auto, and you have to select preferred to get to the settings... thats where they were hiding.

Thanks

-David