Wireless network software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cwedl, Feb 2, 2006.

1. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Hi

I fed up with my house mate downloading bittorrents on the wireless networks, crippling the connection speed for other housemates. Normally I have to go up and ask him to turn it off so I can surf the web. Is their software I can get to disable his bittorrent or edonkey downloading temporarily when I want to surf the web, or at least split the connection fairly!

Regards

cwedl

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Do you have access to the router? Who's the 'admin' of the network? People with ideas, might need to know...

You can't just agree that he'll use BT/P2P after peak hours? There's a fair amount of software that allows you to queue things and then download overnight (since there are so many ISPs that are doing traffic shaping and throttling on the lines over peak hours to cut speeds for those doing lots of down/uploading?

Alternatively, doesn't most BT/P2P software have an option in it to limit upload/download speeds?

Lastly (and not remotely seriously), if he's on a PC, why not just infect his machine and get some peace while he reinstalls Windows? ;)

3. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

I'm the admin of the wireless network, He can't really leave his laptop, its so noisy that no one would sleep in the house, the fans stay on all the time.

I ask him go get off bittorrent etc, he does for about 10 mins and I have to tell him to get off again.

I could infect him, Thats a good idea! now which virus will do the most damage!:D

I know the bittorrent software can be limited on his machine, we've tried that, but even if nothings downloading and bittorrent is still on it still cripples the network.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

P2P and bit-torrent apps are notorious for doing this. Maybe tell him to try a different app. I don't use any so I can't offer any alternatives, sorry. :eek:

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sounds like he's being selfish and it's making you and others suffer.

Is there nowhere else he could put his laptop in the house if he really needs to download stuff overnight?

I'd be brutal if you've already tried asking him nicely. Create a MAC list on the router and ask him politely to get off the network for a couple of hours each night. If he doesn't, then remove his MAC from the router and bump him off the network.

6. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

Bumping him off the network sounds good, Will try! Thanks