Wireless network with a mac and pc XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prp134, Mar 6, 2007.

1. prp134 macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    Im new to Macs, so now that I have two computers at home, I need to go wireless. So my question is this.....how do I set up a wireless network in my home with my old pc and new macbook.

One thing though, my old pc doesnt have a wireless card, so I still have to connect via a cable, while I want to share the internet through a wireless connection with my macbook.

Also, quick question, I was able to connect to the wireless network at my school. However, is there a way my Macbook can automatically recognize and connect by itself. Right now I find myself having to go through so many steps to connect.

Sorry about all the questions, Hope someone can help?
  2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    most wireless routers also have an ethernet jack so you can have a computer on wired internet as well as wireless.

My MacBook automatically connects to wireless networks. Poke around in the Network panel of System Preferences and see if there's an option there that isn't selected or something.
  3. seniorstinky macrumors regular

Feb 22, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    As stated, most wireless home routers have a 4 port switch for wired connections (as well as the connection to the cable/dsl modem). As far as setting up the wireless network, it's no different than setting it up with a PC. Pick your security method (I recommend WPA as opposed to WEP or nothing) your SSID and you should be able to connect without an issue. Do you have a setup that you looking to buy?
  4. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2007
    I am a first time Mac owner (took delivery of my 15" MBP yesterday); I also have a 2 year-old Dell Inspiron 9300. I ordered one of those new Airport Extreme Base Stations (looks like a thin Mac Mini). Even though my Dell has a (crappy) wireless card, I plan to hook that up to my router via cable, w/ my MBP connected wirelessly. I hope my old HP 5650 printer can be networked wirelessly as well.