Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hgoodman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
I'm moving into an apartment that has a wireless network set up for a couple of PCs, is it possible for an Airport to work with that or do I need a separate Ethernet connection for it? Or can my iBook connect to that wireless network if it's set up on a couple of Dells? I have no clue when it comes to wireless so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
802.11b/g protocols are the same for PCs and Macs. You should be able to join any wireless network with little or no problem.

hgoodman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
So then there's no need to buy an Airport? Sweet.

Last question then, what do I need to do in the iBook to set it up for it to pick up the wireless signal?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
hgoodman said:

Last question then, what do I need to do in the iBook to set it up for it to pick up the wireless signal?

If you have the Airport Card installed you can pick the network from the Airport Network List, then simply enter the password and you should be up and running ;)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
hgoodman said:

Depends on how the network is set up. Sometimes you actually have to know the name of the network AND the password, sometimes the name shows up in the Airport drop down menu (which you should have on your menu bar if you are going to use Airport) and all you'll need is the password in that case. Other times you don't need either if the person administering the network doesn't care about unauthorized users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.