Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Recently, I had COX Communications set up a wireless network in my house. The set it up with a Linksys router. I'm getting my new Macbook this week and was wondering how I will set up the Macbook for this network. Please help.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think that it should just find the network, and then you tell it to join, and it will either connect into it or ask you for the password if you have a password set up on it.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2006
OK good. Because I was reading forums at APPLE.COM and people were going crazy over not being able to connect to their network. I guess because I'm still using a PC and am going to switch soon, I'm a little bit nervous!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
OK good. Because I was reading forums at APPLE.COM and people were going crazy over not being able to connect to their network. I guess because I'm still using a PC and am going to switch soon, I'm a little bit nervous!

well if you do end up having any problems which you shouldn't just post here and someone will help you.:)

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
It's really easy to connect to your network. I set up a Linksys wireless network in my apartment with no problems. Some things you should watch out for though:

-If they set up your router with a password, you will need that.
-If they set up your router with Mac (not apple) filtering, you will need to add your Mac address to this list to connect.

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
It's really easy to connect to your network. I set up a Linksys wireless network in my apartment with no problems. Some things you should watch out for though:

-If they set up your router with a password, you will need that.
-If they set up your router with Mac (not apple) filtering, you will need to add your Mac address to this list to connect.

True, but it will show as MAC address, not Mac address (yes, there is a difference).

My MB finds networks easily, no issues at all.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
networking with PCs isnt' always as seamless as they say. I got my MacBook almost 2 weeks ago and it will still only "see" one of our PCs, even though two PCs are connected to the Internet and to the network. It's a strange problem no one seems to know how to figure out yet, but I suspect it's the PC's problem not the MB's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.