Wireless Networking a PC and Mac and using internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by XenNightz, Feb 22, 2005.

1. XenNightz macrumors member

I have a PC running Windows XP with DSL connected thru ethernet and it has a wireless card installed. I also have a 17" PoweBook. I want to set it up so that I can connect to the PC wirelessly and use it's Internet connection. Could somebody write up a sort of walkthru on how I can do this? :)

xie xie!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This is more of a Windows question really and (un)fortunately I'm nowhere near a PC so I can't give you a walkthrough as such, just an alternative/recommendation. This setup will require you connecting to an ad-hoc network which in my experience is just not nearly as stable/easy as just dropping past the local PC shop and picking up a wireless router. Connect the cable to it, create an actual wireless network, point both computers in its direction.

Much easier IMO. :)

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I agree with the above poster. Using a wireless router will give you the added benefit of using your Powerbook even while the PC is turned off. If you just share the internet through the PC, then it has to be always on.

Besides, leaving a Windows PC directly connected to the Internet 24/7 is not the best thing to do. The modem will probably have some firewall stuff, but I'd feel more comfortable with a router in between. Now that I've said that, my Dad's Dell is directly connected to the Internet, so maybe I should follow my own advice.