Wireless Networking advice

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noel4r, Jun 11, 2004.

1. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have an eMac with a wireless DLink router and I just got a new iBook with an Airport Extreme Card. The problem is I lose airport connection when I go 10 feet away from the router. I called DLink and they said they dont support Airport Extreme Cards and I called Apple and they said they dont support DLink routers. Anyway, is there another router I can buy or a solution I can do so I can surf around the house besides getting an Airport Extreme Base Station ($200 is too much). I dont really want to wait 1.5 months to get the Airport Express. I looked at an Asante router and it reads on their website that they support Airport Extreme cards. Any suggestions?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Persoanlly I'd just wait for the AE. But really there is no reason your D-Link shouldn't be working.

3. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any thoughts on why it isn't working? If I'm 1 foot away, I only get 2 bars on the signal bar.

4. reaper macrumors 6502

Have you tried either the router or wireless card with another wireless card or router, respectively? I would trouble shoot both independently to make sure they both work correctly, then worry about why they won't work together (since one may be malfunctioning, in which case you call that manufacturer and get a replacement). If they do work correctly with other counterparts, I would suggest getting an Airport Express when it comes out (as I don't really know the reason your iBook will not work with a Dlink router), although I have to think that Apple's wireless cards should work with third-party routers.

- reaper

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is there a power level setting on the D-Link the way there is with the Airport Extreme? I know you can set the AEBS to transmit at a very low power for security if you want.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you have really low signal strength, it sounds to me like your Airport card might be loose in the iBook. Did you install the card yourself? Did you make sure to connect the antenna cable to the Airport card when you installed it?

7. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did install it myself, I remember hearing a snap and I did connect the antenna, but I will check it again later to make sure. Is there any way of testing it? If I bring it to an Apple store, can they test it for me?

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    have you tried moving the Dlink to another location?
    away from walls, your PC, power strips, large pieces of metal, unshielded cable TV lines, top of a shelf.. etc..

edit: you might wanna check out Mac Stumbler, run that app and see what it tells you

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yes, the Apple store will be able to test it for you. If re-connecting the antenna doesn't help, you should take it there.

10. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks a lot for the replies. i'll try all the suggestions, hopefully i'll be surfing all around the house by tonight...

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Depending on where it is in your house, you might also think about what other sources of 2.4 GHz you have....

- Any BT devices floatin' around?
    - Where is your microwave oven with respect to the router?
    - Do you have a 2.4 GHz cordless landline? Try turning it off and checking
    - If you know anyone else with an Apple (I can't think of an easy way to do this with a PC laptop as the 2nd), turn on the Rendezvous connection thing, and see how far away the two laptops can pair via Rendezvous / Airport. If its >>10' then the problem is probably mostly on the DLink side.

But 10' is just not right in any B or G mode. Either the router is being damped purposely (set to low power, set to high multiplier), accidentally (other 2.4 sources or absorbing materials) or one of the two is broken.

12. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I was getting extremely low signal because of my cordless phone system, I changed the channel on it and now everything is dandy. I use a Dlink router and a Netgear, both work great. I am sure you can figure it out, take it to the apple store see if you pick up full reception there.

13. Crikey macrumors 6502

Have you tried this ?

That is,
    > It says: Go Advanced/Peformance in DI-514 interface and change the
    > "Preamble Type" from the short preamble (default) into long preamble.

Used to have to do this to get the old-school 802.11b AirPort to work with LinkSys routers at all.

Good luck,

Crikey

14. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's what I've done so far:

Reinstalled Airport Extreme Card and checked the Airport Software (it’s up to date).

Placed the DLink Router DI-624 (set to long preamble) about a foot away from the eMac.

No Bluetooth device activated in the room.

There are no phones in the room.

If I’m 1 foot away from the router, Mac Stumbler reads 48, I go about 10 to 15 away it reads 27, another 10 feet away, no connection.

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

At this point, I would take your notebook to a Starbucks (or other cafe with wireless access) or an Apple store and see what kind of reception you get there. If you get good, strong reception there may be a problem with your router. If your reception is still weak/flaky, have your airport card and antenna checked out by a 'genius.'

16. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all your help. I bought another router to see if the problem lies w/ my old router and I got the same result so I took it to an Apple Store and I did not get a good signal when I got to the store. The problem was I didn't properly install the Airport Extreme Card (in fact, I almost damaged the card), the guy at the Apple Store took care of it. Problem solved. Thanks again.

17. Godfather macrumors member

lolz :D
    That explains the snap!

luckily everything ended well for you :]