Wireless networking advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Krizoitz, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Ok, I'm taking the plunge and going to do some wireless networking. So far its just going to be my iMac G4 and iBook G4 hooked up wirelessly although adding a printer might happen soon. My question is about wireless routers. Why is it that the Airport Extreme BaseStation seems so much more expensive than offerings from places like Linksys, Belkin, Netgear, or others? Will one of these wireless routers be adequate or am I better off going with Airport Base Stations (I'm thinking about the Express actually, but even that seems to be more pricey)?

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Any of those should work (although they might not all have a USB port for networked printing), but you often 'get what you pay for'. The Apple Extreme basestation is easy to set up and configure, whereas those from other manufacturers may not be - I've got a d-link wireless access point allowing my playstation onto my network, and it's a right pain in the *** to configure. Also, watch out for products that can only be configured using a program installed on a PC (and not a Mac). You'll need one that uses a web browser based interface instead.

Overall, personally I paid the extra few quid for the apple basestation...

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Ease of use and support can be reasons for the higher cost. IUt sounds like Express may do just what you want and provide some flexibility too.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Normally this is true, but the AE is simply over priced. $200 dollars? I mean come on, you can get a much better deal if you look at Netgear/Linksys/etc. The only advantage to AE, is that it has the print server built into it, but even then, you could hook the printer up to another computer on the network and share it.

Most other other wireless routers give you 4 ports of ethernet connections to add extra wired computers. Apple gives you one.

If your not going to be transfering files between the two computers, go with 802.11b. It will be plenty fast for the internet, and save you $$$.

If your cable modem is near your home stereo, and you would the Airtunes feature, then Airort Express would be a good way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an Airport Extreme, but the $200 dollar price tag is way to high.

5. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

AirPort Expess would probably do everything you want, i believe it is also a base station so for the price (considerably cheeper) you can't go too far wrong, not for what you want it for anyway. Personally i'd stick with the Apple product simply because its definatly going to work for you and theres better suport if you have problems. Aswell as fitting in with the rest of your hardware looks wise :D.

Mark.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And some people are willing to pay for the look too... :)

7. Gee macrumors 65816

Fair points, well made. Although, it kinda depends though what you're willing to bear. Here in London, I can easily get through £100 ($185) on an evening of beers and such, so paying an extra $100 for not having to arse around for hours setting something up seems like a reasonable deal....