Wireless networking and 2.4Ghz phones

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jbomber, Mar 2, 2004.

1. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Hey, has anyone else come across a problem with using a wireless network and a 2.4 GHz cordless phone? If I'm surfing wirelessly and then answer the phone, my connection appears to be blocked by the phone. Anyone know of a possible workaround for this? (ditching the phone isn't an option.)

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Change the channel on either the phone or the access point. This will move it to another frequency. However, if you have one of the phones that constantly scans for a better channel, you may be out of luck.

3. BaDBoY macrumors member

again...?

gotta be my third time going over this. anyway, like tomf87 said, this is the only workaround if you intend to keep that phone around. changing the channel on the phone.

or you can just toss your 2.4 ghz and bo buy a 5.8 ghz or a 900 mhz phone. i recommend just buying another 900 mhz. those phones are good enough anyway, its not like youre going to go down your street just to talk to someone on the phone; thats what cell phones are for.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

i dunno man, i used to have that problem then i restarted my base and now it works fine even during phone calls. Change channels, change some other settings or just get a new cordless phone. dont put it next to the microwave oven either...

5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

No doubt... I was logging into a server via Remote Desktop and my fiancee threw some popcorn in the microwave. The RDC just hung. I had her stop the microwave and it came back. Goofy stuff.

6. BaDBoY macrumors member

its simple logic, that if you do restart your base station while taking a phone call will MAKE your base station find a channel that is not being interfered. but that willl change when you put the phone back on the reciever. when you do that, the phone will change its channel again, then you need to change the channel on the phone or restart the base station again while youre on the phone.

even with that "complicated" solution, i still say buy a new phone