Wireless networking fails after Software Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattc58, Feb 2, 2007.

1. mattc58 macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2007
    Hello Friends,

I downloaded an installed a software update from Apple today on my MacBookPro. The updates included:

2007-01-08 12:31:37 -0500: Installed "iChat Update (Universal)" (1.0)
    2007-02-02 12:27:13 -0500: Installed "AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001" (1.0)
    2007-02-02 12:29:39 -0500: Installed "Security Update 2007-001" (1.0)

After I rebooted I began having issues with my wireless networking. It will work for a short (< 30 minutes) amount of time but then it will drop. It won't see any network then. My wired connection works fine, but wireless just drops away.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm blaming it on the update but maybe that's not it.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've seen a lot of posts on this subject on Apple's forums. Apparently it helped some that had problems and messed up others that did not have problems, and didn't do anything to others. I really wish Apple would get their act together on their wireless problems.:mad:

EDIT: As much as I would hate it, it looks like my next laptop may be a Dell unless Apple can get things straightened out. I am looking at their Latitude X1 and D420 ultra-portables and liking what I see. Hmmm...Apple, are you listening?
  3. mattc58 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2007
    Well I wouldn't take it that far! :)
  4. mattc58 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2007
    Well there are indeed quite a few people with this problem. The Apple support forums are pretty active about it.

Some possible fixes:
    1. Use WEP instead of WAP security
    2. Use no security at all
    3. Remove the update by modifying the kernel

I'm going to hope this gets fixed by Apple before I have to do any of these.
  5. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Seattle WA
    My friends month old MBP C2D's networking, including the Ethernet died after the wifi update. He took it to the Genius Bar and they said they have to replace the mobo.

How lame.
  6. Joe-Data macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2007
    Change to WEP Shared

Hi guys, try this:

Open the Network control panel and delete the trusted network with the problem.

In the 2Wire Wireless settings change the method of authentication to WEP-Shared or WEP-Compartido (in spanish).

Save the settings and ad a new trusted network in Network Control Panel or connect by your old way.

Xtra tip: Some PC's can't connect to a modem router with this setting

___ JOE
  7. mattc58 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2007
    Seems to be working so far, thanks for posting!
  8. Joe-Data macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2007

You're welcome, it was my pleasure being able to help you.