Wireless Networking on a Lombard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FadeToBlack, Aug 1, 2005.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I am looking into buying a wireless card for my Lombard, since the Lombard isn't Airport-ready. The ones at my local Wal Mart aren't Mac-compatible, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a card that would work with my Lombard? I am running Panther. By the way, the only places around here that would even carry wireless cards are Wal Mart and Radio Shack. I haven't checked Radio Shack yet, but I'd actually rather buy online. Thanks in advance.

2. slefler macrumors newbie

In my Lombard I have a D-Link G650 Air-Link card. It works flawlessly. But you will need to buy a driver for it form Orangeware.

http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/wirelessformac.html

This setup is easy to use and the control panel has a nifty search for available networks feature.

Other cards would probably work just as well as the D-Link, just check for compatiblity with the driver because the Apple drivers won't work with 3rd party cards.

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Cool. I'll just check out that Orangeware site and find one that's compatible with that driver. Thanks for the reply!!

EDIT: Is this the card that you have? http://cgi.ebay.com/D-Link-DWL-650-...793047740QQcategoryZ64051QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd get the Sonnet Aria extreme if I were you; it's not dirt cheap, but for $60 you get a 802.11g card that needs no drivers at all--OSX recognizes it as a standard Airport card so long as it's in the slot when you turn the laptop on. I just put one in a Pismo a week ago, and it works perfectly.

5. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

NICE. Thanks for the suggestion. That's exactly what I need.