Wireless Networking Problem.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fuzzai, Dec 30, 2004.

1. fuzzai macrumors member

Alright, im having a problem with my wireless network with the mac.

Now im a new user with a mac, so pls bare with me!

I got a Network Everywere wireless 11b router, Its made by linksys.
    I can get wireless to work, and its great, nice fast yee haa!

BUT i can't get the Security to work. Whats up?
    i tried 64 bit, and i get a key. say i use key 3, i enter the key into the mac in the 802.11x airport screen is it? user name of the router right? and i put the key, it takes a WHILE to connect, but it does. it connets, but i can't get on the net. whats up?
    as soon as i take the security off and disable it from the router, i can connect and everything. but when its on i can't. any idea as to what it may be???????

Thanks for any help

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This happens all the time to me - the trick is to use the hexadecimal version of the key instead, and it should work just fine. It worked for me.

I haven't looked at the setup for a Linksys wireless router in a while, so I don't remember exactly where you'd find the hexadecimal (or hex for short) version of the key. You'd type it into the Mac like you would any other key.

3. fuzzai thread starter macrumors member

so if it gives me say 9 digits i could just convert it?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm not sure what you mean there. Usually, the setup assistant converts the key to hex for you - you just have to figure out where to look for it. You don't need to convert the key back to text - Mac OS X will accept a hexadecimal key the same way it accepts a text key. Just type it in the field provided, and you should be all set.

5. fuzzai thread starter macrumors member

ok cool.

When i open the airport connections, and go to the 802.1x, and set up a config.....

Username, is that the user name i log into my router with? password is the Key that the wiresless network makes right? obviously the network would be the SSID right?

6. fuzzai thread starter macrumors member

i just checked my router, and the key is already hex

0CDFC4A63C

7. fuzzai thread starter macrumors member