Wireless networking question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by morningw00d, Sep 9, 2004.

1. morningw00d macrumors newbie

Hey all -

I'm trying to wirelessly network my house and here's the situation. I'll have a linksys wireless router running into the new iMac and i need to somehow figure out how to wireless network it to an imac g4 with no built in wireless network card. Additionally, I'd also like to know the best way to go about wirelessly networking it to a non dual Power Mac G4 (can't take the current apple wireless card). I apologize in advance if this sounds obvious. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch. :D

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

seriously, you're kinda screwed. you need to get ahold of the old airport cards, which aren't being made anymore. afaik, you can only get them used now.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

You should also check out any of a number of USB wireless adapters from companies such as Linksys.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I recommend against USB wireless adaptors, instead going for the ethernet bridges. the linksys wet11 (they also make a 802.11g version) works great, and requires no drivers. I believe belkin has a 802.11g ethernet adaptor that is supposed to work great as well. USb devices are just asking for trouble because theya re dependent on the Os and drivers. the ethernet one's work with any computer, any OS, with no drivers.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I haven't had problems with the USB ones in the past, but I can see why the ethernet ones would essentially eliminate any doubt. Are they about the same price, or more expensive than the USB counterparts?

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I think they tend to be a bit more expensive. Curiously, linksys makes a wireless game console adaptor that costs less than the WET11 device they make, but it seems to do exactly the same thing. I would think it would work on a computer, but can't be sure.

The reason I don't recommend USB devices is I've read of a lot of people having problems getting them working at the apple discussion forums. Driver support seems to be a big issue with some brands.

7. morningw00d thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. I went with the bridges, workin perfectly. :)