Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Just need some help regarding setting up a shared internet access network at my place, I don't know much about this stuff.

We have 2 macbooks and a PC. I'm planning on getting an Airport Express for upstairs (connected to the cable modem) and another one for downstairs which will be a range expander.

The PC is downstairs, can I get any old wireless-G network card and it will work fine with the airport express?

Cheers!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Yep. Airport is simply Apple's 802.11 product line. The Airport Express is 802.11g.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
In theory. In practice I have a PC upstairs with a wireless PCI card (I forget who made it, maybe Belkin) that for some unknown reason refuses to connect to my Airport Extreme network. I have a Belkin PCMCIA card in an old Dell laptop and that connects to my network without trouble and a newer Dell connected after I spend an afternoon tearing my hair out. You should be fine but based on my experience it isn't a 100% guarantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.