Wireless Networking

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by VegetaPunk, Jul 2, 2003.

1. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I was wondering if its ok to cross brands of equipment when making a wireless network so if I got a netgear router and used a linskey card for example??

2. StrongGlad macrumors member

Theoretically, no, it's not a problem at all. As long as each device is compliant with the same standard (for example, 802.11b), they should play nicely together.

I have, however, heard of a few quirks in cross-brand networks. My SMC wireless router, for example, had a nasty habit of dumping wireless connections from Macs, which I never quite figured out. By and large, however, such problems are infrequent.

In some cases, there can be benefits to using hardware from the same manufacturer, though. I know that many 802.11b products from D-Link allow you to achieve double the bandwith (or so they claim) of the standard spec, as long as you've got D-Link devices on both ends of the connection.

FYI:

802.11g (which runs at 54 mbps) is backward compatible with 802.11b, though you won't get the additional speed if you mix protocols.

3. VegetaPunk thread starter macrumors 6502

4. StrongGlad macrumors member