Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I have a question. I want to network my Home. I have several Mac's and a few PC's I want all of them to be on a wireless network. My problem is that 2 of my Mac's are old. One is a 233 G3 (Desktop) and one is a Rev-A iMac. My Quicksilver will proabaly be connected strait into the hub and the winBox and laptop can get cards. I cant find any cards that are Mac commpatable! Airport cards wont work with my old Mac's. I Linksys makes PCI cards that will take the wireless PC net cards and they make a USB wireless soultion that would work with my iMac, But they dont list Mac as compatable! Does any one know what I could do...

Thanks for you help.

-evildead

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
gosh..

I guess no one knows about this stuff. It's ok.. I found a Co. that makes PCI card adaptors for wireless PC cards, for Macs. I am still looking for a solution for my old Rev-a iMac. I know a buch of people make USB wireless gear... but I havent seen any that work for a Mac. Any one know diffrent?

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I have a question about you saying you are plugging the Quicksilver directly into the hub:
Are you saying that the other computers will work in a direct wireless interface with the Quicksilver that is plugged into the network jack? Just to make sure that you know; either it is that PCs can run off of an Airport hub, or Macs with airport cards can work off of PC wireless hubs. This is a much more efficent wireless networking design, but it adds an additional $300 roughly to the cost of the network. The speed gains are worth it though in comparison to the direct interface method, which makes the Quicksilver act as both a server AND a wireless hub. Not a good idea. If you need some more help, I have friends who work with networking all the time that I may be able to help you get in touch with for consulting.

falc420

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2001
The following setup would allow you to network all of the computers together:

RevA iMac Ethernet ---> Ethernet hub if desired ---> Airport or other base station

Alternatively, you could use a computer that has both ethernet and wireless networking, and run a software base station.

RevA iMac Ethernet ---> Ethernet hub if desired ---> Computer with ethernet and wireless (software base station)

Personally, I'd go for a hardware base station if possible. I'm sure that there will be mac drivers for those wireless USB solutions in the near future, it's just a matter of time.

Good luck,
Colin

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
what i'm gonna do.

I plan to do the same sort of thing, but I don't really see much of the advantage of making desktops wireles.., i mean, how much do you move them around? I have to ask myself, am I really that Lazy to not run a little cable? Plus pay 50-100 bucks for each desktop's wireless card.

What I am going to do is just get a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port Router with built in switch and connect my Rev A iMac and my PC to it with ethernet.. THen when I buymy Ti2 laptop, I am going to get it with an airport card and then buy a wireless card for my PC and make it a base station..

You say it is slower, but think about it.. if you do all the desktops on wireless, you are really kicking yourself! You will go from 100Mbps to 11Mbps. All to save a bit of time wiring? NOt for me. WHen I use the PC as a accesspoint, I am pretty sure it would be able to handle the 11Mbps, it's slow anyway compared to the 100Mbps I will get if I am close to the Router with My laptop and can just plug in.. I'll have the option, but if I want any file sharing to the other computers, I'll want the speed of the 100Mbps, granted I won't need more than about 8Mpbs for my Cable modem.. I get up to about 8Mpbs, anything else is wasted.

DBU, the school I go to just installed the CISCO Aironet 350 system on campus and from what I have read on Cisco's site, it is compatible with the Airport. (Wi-Fi), but the tech guys say otherwise.. We'll see..

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Thanks guys

the deal is.... I want to go wirless because my coonnection comes in the house on the 3rd floor and I have computers on all 3. As for connecting my G4 dirctly into the router.. I would only do that to take advantage of gigabit... I would not use it as a server.

thanks again

andy one know some one that makes a USB wirless unit for Mac???

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Thanks

Thanks falc420!! thats great news that they skyline has Mac suppport comming soon. I was looking at getting a PCI card for old desktop G3 from them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.