Wireless networks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macEfan, Jan 14, 2007.

1. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I have a US Robotics Wireless router here. works fine with some computers but not others. It works fine with an old PC desktop , but comes up with an error on an acer laptop. The acer laptop has built in wireless B networking. it finds the network but when I click on "connect" on win XP, it says can't connect to the network, out of range, out of order, etc. any ideas on what I should do?

Additionally, on the ibook I use, the signal quality changes often. Sometimes the signal strength is 1 bar, and sometimes its 5 bars. What would cause the signal to be so poor sometimes and so good at other times?

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Try using iStumbler to see if any other networks are on a close channel. At least three different is good.

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you get into the router try to change channels. What other things do you have around the router (etc, microwave, cordless phone which all can cause interference on your wireless)

4. macEfan thread starter macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    there is only 1 other wireless network around... as for things around the router, I have a PC, an ethernet switch, a printer, and a cordless phone. the phone is a 900mhz vtech one.