Wireless Nirvana

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Oct 3, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Spent the day yesterday taking full advantage of my new iMac with BT and Airport/Airport Express. Also reduced a lot of clutter.

Airport Express- Plugged it in and set it up to extend my network. Took all of a minute or so. Toslink to stereo system and wireless iTunes. Removed cassette deck and CD player (can always use DVD player if I need to) from stereo shelves (a Tivo will take that space) Plug in HP 1012 and wireless printing. HP now in a cabinet in living room wall unit. Freed up desk space, lost 2 wires and gained printing capability for my iBook.

Desktop - With the clean look of the iMac, decided I had to do something about all the damn cable mess. Also have a Toshiba laptop I use for work on the desk. Bought one of those wooden cubes at Target and installed casters on bottom so it is easily moved.

Inside the cube, which has a door, I put my cable modem and its power brick, D-Link router (needed to connect laptop) and its power cord, speaker power brick, laptop power brick and a good surge protector. Damn thing is a mess but you can't see it. Airport .b base station on top of the cube. External FireWire drive next to it (its power brick in the cube) and a pretty white Apple thin FireWire cable up to the back of iMac. If I need to get at anything in there, all I have to do is wheel it out.

My desk now looks like my mother cleaned it. Set of JBL Creature IIs (wires all hidden in a cable track I attached to back lip of desk), iPod dock and Logitech MX 1000 dock. The cable track has the few cables from the cube routed through it. Where they pop out, they go right into the hole on the back of the iMac.

5 hours to do all this.
    Only 2 visible wires on desk (iPod dock and mouse for laptop)
    Priceless!

2. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

you are as minimalistic maniac as I am!

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Bluetooth mouse and AirPort Express has reduced my cable clutter for my PowerBook down to just the power (which I can obviously sometimes eliminate). Now, when are they going to figure out safe power transmission over the airwaves? :p :D

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I guess I should consider getting Bluetooth installed in my next Mac, then. My iMac doesn't have it.

5. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

Wow, congratulations! I have a cable mess so big under the office table(desk) that I wonder how the G4 tower can get any air. We fixed the cables into neat whaddayacallit...well neatly anyway. I guess there's at least 50 meters of cable there, at least 10 USB cables etc. etc.

My first computer I shall own all by myself (this PM is my dad's) is going to be a 'Book, and it'll have BT and AP Ext. for sure.

BTW, I'm quite interested in both your mouse and speakers. Do the Creatures II's sound good? I understand they're quite a bargain with a low price for such sound performance. And the MX 1000, isn't that the laser-mouse? I just yesterday bumped into one at the mall and hevaily tried to get my mom buy one. I suppose the laser is good enough, but what do you say about the wireless technology? It isn't BT, but is it fast enough, I mean, does it lag at all? have you tried games with the mouse?

From the Logitech website: "Fast RF™ cordless
    Cordless performance that equals USB corded connection" Is this true?

6. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

I replaced a set of Altec Lansing ATP-3 with the Creatures. Very happy with the sound. Mainly got them to match my iMac.

MX-1000- only been using for 2 days but I feel it's the best mouse I've ever used. I'm not a gamer so can't speak for any lag. Seems a bit more responsive than the Microsoft wireless it replaced but that could just be the "new toy" effect.

7. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

I see, what about the software on the CD? Did you install it? Does it work okay, I mean can you enable all the fancy buttons? I'm especially interested in the left-right "scrolling" buttons.

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd like to see pictures of your setup too, rdowns!

10. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Nice. I like what you've done to minimize the cable clutter. My setup is nowhere near as neat. I've got a whole mess of cables around and behind both my Mac and PC, plus a bunch of other stuff on my desk, like CD cases with CDs inside that I'm not currently using.

12. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Thanks. Now let's see if I can keep it this neat.

13. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Installed software and all buttons can be configured. Left-right scrolling works (awesome feature, I use it a lot in Excel at work with Msft. Wireless). I particularly like pushing the scroll wheel to double click and the application switching button.

14. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

Ooo. Wow. Now I really gotta get this mouse, or even the quite-similar not-laser corded MX510.

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Nice set-up rdowns... but it is almost too minimal. I mean you need some fancy-looking stuff with blinky lights around, don't you?

I like the idea of that cube, however, I might pick one up myself. I also find garbage bag ties priceless for cord-management (or electrical tape).

I like the trash can too...very Apple-themed.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Nice. I always try to reduce cables to a minimum. Now if Apple could just get that wireless Firewire out, I could free my Powerbook of some other cables like Ext. HD(how fast does wiFW actually go? Does anybody know?) or the iPod dock.
    And I am still waiting for the MX1000 to go BT :D Hurry Logitech. :p

17. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I really wish someone would come out with WIFI speakers.

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I think BT would limit this as you could only play stuff at a certain bitrate... but wireless FW should definitely be able to handle even lossless. But this might be well off. We'll see when Apple puts it in their computers and then maybe 1 or 2 years later... :(

19. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

BT yes. But standard 802.11x (a.k.a. WIFI) should be able to handle just about any audio thrown at it. After all they Apple does have the airport express.

I'd like to see Apple come out with an 5.1 surround sound 802.11b/g speaker setup. There has been a few instances where I've taken my laptop. (Sorry for now it’s a PC. Come on Apple give me my G5 17" PowerBook damn it!!) Anyways I've taken my laptop over to a friends house hooked up the projector I have and had to drag along the speaker setup I have that is a PITA since I have cables strung all over the floor. An 802.11b/g setup would be sweet.

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

AirPort Express hooked up to digital speakers via Toshlink = WIFI speakers. What more do you want?

21. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

Yes, I know we're not here discussing mice but BT would limit the MX 1000 fastness because it's much slower than Fast RF. But yes, it would make it compatible without the "dock" and it'd be better than the MX900 BT because of all the laser-goodness 20x more accurate tracking.

22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Too bad I don't have a Toslink-enabled computer yet. I would love a setup like that.

23. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Unfortunately, unless a hack has been found, the only thing that goes through AE is iTunes. Can you get normal system sounds to go through AE? And even then there is a whole heck of a lot of dicking with setting it up. I mean slap the AE into a power outlet. Connect the speakers to the AE. Connect the power to the speakers. Etc. Etc. Etc.
    Vs a solution with an integrated WIFI chipset (Think PDA chipset so its way low powered.) and all you simply have to do is plug in your speakers to the outlet and away you go. For configuration purposes there is a USB port on the side of the speaker that you plug into your laptop for initial configuration (e.g. setting up the AP specifics such as WEP/WPA settings)

24. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

The problem with that is the 1-2 second lag you get with the WiFi, which is pain in the arse enough with iTunes when you want to scrub through a track to a certain point. The delay on system sounds or DVD playback would be prohibitive.

25. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

Oh yeah, I didn't come to think of that lag.
    Pretty annoying, think yourself playing something like Unreal Tournament 2004, you hear distant footsteps, turn around and be dead.
    Though, there is indeed a hack for AirPort Express, the Norwegian programmer who hacked the DVD DRM did it. Here's a TechNewsWorld article about it.