Wireless on eMac Panther..?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aplspirals, Jan 29, 2004.

1. aplspirals macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Suffering much frustration with wireless on my new eMac (OS 10.3).
    First I tried my original MacSense USB wireless adapter which had worked okay on my old iMac (OS 9.2). The software was a bit limited but I could position the antenna for good reception.
    No luck with this on the new eMac: the software doesn't autodetect my network and I can't tell it specifically to hook up where I need to go. This looks like a bug in the software, but I can't get a response from tech support...

I've just shelled out for a new Airport Extreme card. Almost works, but reception is marginal and you can't exactly do much to reposition the antenna!

Do I have any other options? Any other USB adapters with working OS X software?
    Any advice would be much appreciated:)
  2. thecow macrumors 6502

Nov 24, 2003
    Timonium MD
    Why do you need a wireless network on a desktop? A wired network is faster, more reliable and easier to set up.
  3. cmx08 macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    Canada, GMA

it could be that the modem and router are in the livingroom but the emac is in the 6th floor and the cable will be expensive or hard to setup.

or he is in Uni and wants to get WiFi from the guy he hates the most (keeping my options open :p )

or from someone he knows in the building and can not setup cables down the hall

or like me :p , have my friend leaving 15 meters away in another building and has DSL.

So I pass my router and use the free dsl without a home phone line since i only use my cellphone

whahahaha. you seriously can do a lot with Wi-Fi

take your pick;)