Wireless options for G3 iBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DaveBMusik, Dec 3, 2004.

1. DaveBMusik macrumors newbie

The original airport cards are hard to get and expensive. Are there any third party cards that would fit my iBook 500?

Has anyone tried the MacWireless 802.11b USB stick?

Thanks!

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Regular 802.11b AirPort Cards are cheap on eBay. I've used a USB wireless adapter for my dad's iMac and sold it the next day. It worked, but the software for it sucked @$$! It was constantly crashing it, even after repairing permissions. An AirPort Card is the best way to go as you know that will work consistently and better than any USB wireless stick.

3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

yea, USB wifi on Mac is sorely lacking. it's useful maybe if you want to get online for a few minutes at airports (no pun intended), but for any long term solution, they simply dont work.

splurge for an airport card, you'll be happy you did (well, maybe not, but if you go through the hassle of trying to use a usb solution for any length of time, you will be sad you didn't splurge.)

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Buying an airport card brand new is fairly cheap with a student discount
    so if you are a student or know one it might be the best way to go.
    I personally have never used a third party wireless card but I know people who have tried them and went out and bought the apple cards in the end.

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Third party cards wont fit in the iBook, because it has its antena is in the screen, where PC cards have them as apart of the card. That is why they usually have that fat peice of plastic that sticks out the side on those add-on wireless cards.

6. budugu macrumors 6502

Dlink i guess has the best solution. You can get them for 10-20$ with rebates. The main problem that i felt was that the usb ports on these macs are notoriously shallow.The dongles seem to be loosely held (with out any loss of connection!). The major problem is that you have to remove them when you are transporting, and i kept loosing it. But if are not going to keep the ibook for a very long time then i guess spending 100 bucks on old technology is a waste.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The DLink USB WiFi adapters work. Not well however they work. I didn't like it so I got rid of it.

It's wires for me for now for security reasons. :)