Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfoKill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Tokyo/NYC
I was thinking of getting a air port extreme card for my G5 (didnt get it when i orderd it). Now i need a wireless option to pick up a wifi connection. i was thinking of the AE card but was wondering if there was anything better out there. like an external antena like the ones linksys make for like 50 bucks. I want a strang signal and i just read the PB aluminum theory thread. So any suggestions?
Thanks!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I can tell you from experience that you're better off buying an AirPort Express. The Power Mac G5s use an external antenna that plugs into the back of the machine. It should have been included with your Power Mac when you bought it in a little plastic bag. My G5 doesn't have wireless, but it did come with the antenna.

InfoKill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Tokyo/NYC
im just looking at my options. i would liketo be able to move my atenna around if my connection is weak, and moving the entire g5 would get my arms a little tired:) .

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I suggest this unit:
http://www.macwireless.com/html/products/11g_11b_cards/11gPCI.php

It requires no drivers or software, works like it WAS an Apple card. I had to take my card out of my G5 for my new Powerbook and bought this PCI card. The range is at least twice that of the built in option. No compatibility issues at all.

This is probably what you were looking for.
InfoKill said:
I was thinking of getting a air port extreme card for my G5 (didnt get it when i orderd it). Now i need a wireless option to pick up a wifi connection. i was thinking of the AE card but was wondering if there was anything better out there. like an external antena like the ones linksys make for like 50 bucks. I want a strang signal and i just read the PB aluminum theory thread. So any suggestions?
Thanks!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
seamuskrat said:
I suggest this unit:
http://www.macwireless.com/html/products/11g_11b_cards/11gPCI.php

It requires no drivers or software, works like it WAS an Apple card. I had to take my card out of my G5 for my new Powerbook and bought this PCI card. The range is at least twice that of the built in option. No compatibility issues at all.

This is probably what you were looking for.
I've been looking for PCI cards like this for my older Power Mac G3/4's. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.