Wireless options for Titanium Powebook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcsorel, Aug 16, 2005.

1. marcsorel macrumors newbie

I've got a 15" titanium powerbook and want to add wireless capability. Since it's not airport extreme capable, what are my options? Are there any pc card wireless options? I'd love to be able to just slide in a card and go.
    thanks in advance for your help!

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Any PCMCIA WiFi card will work. I'm a big fan of the Lucent WaveLAN based cards - Orinocos, Dell Truemobile 1150, etc, etc. Prof Prop Head is a good guy on eBay to get them from. Also, they use the same chipset as the origional Airport cards (you could try getting one of those, but don't bother, as they're stupidly expensive nowadays), so (if there's enough space - never looked inside a TiBook), you can flash it to be Airport (it's pretty simple, just put it in - it'll run basic stuff, but things like WEP don't work - and run the Airport Updater. To do so, just run Software Update, and it'll find it)

http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/ - useful for PCMCIA cards

3. marcsorel thread starter macrumors newbie

802.11g?

Do any of these cards support wireless g? I tried a Linksys WPC54G i borrowed from a friend and could not get airport to recognize it. I also tried the orangeware driver without any luck... is there a wireless g card that will work out of the box?

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It's not true that any WiFi card will work. Ideally you want to get an 802.11g card with the Broadcom chipset, so that it will work without any extra drivers. My Linksys WPC54G worked out of the box, with all capabilities (802.11g, WEP, WPA). The thing is that manufacturers often switch chipsets inside their cards without telling anyone. In order for it to work out of the box, it needs to have the Broadcom chipset, because this is what Apple's AP Extreme cards have. I got lucky, mine had the Broadcom chipset. So finding a working card can be trial and error. I bought my card 2 years ago - I have heard of 54g cards from Linksys, Belkin, and others working around this time period. The D-Links used the Intersil chipset which didn't work. Who knows what card uses what chipset now, unfortunately...

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

My advice would be to find an Apple Airport card. Sure, you won't get 11g speeds, but for most things, 11b is completely fine. The advantage of the Airport card is that everything is internal. No stupid PC Card hanging out of the slot to get in the way, or snap off.

The only downside (other than speed) of the Airport card is that TiBooks weren't exactly known for great antenna range.

ft

6. Minder macrumors newbie

Minder

Aria Extreme

I have an Aria Extreme for my PB 15" Titanium and it works great!! :) Sonnet Technologies makes it..

Minder

7. comic book guy macrumors newbie

comic book guy

I have a regular Airport card in my TiPb ( i got it some years ago, it was somehow expensive but i was shure that it will work perfectly).

On the one hand with the ( probably expensive ) Airport card you can be sure that it is and will be compatible.

On the other hand the built in card (also there are two antennas in the Titanium case) has a short range, for example compared to the d-link card a friend of mine uses (in his pc).