Wireless options - original airport card moan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by allan_zip, Feb 13, 2006.

1. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

I've been ignoring the wireless revolution for too long now but my girl and i are considering going wireless in the house, tired of wrecking ethernet cables back and forward between our ibooks. She's got an original 802.11b card in her ibook care of her university but unfortunately i don't (2001 model) and i've just seen the price people are scalping them on ebay for! Why apple stopped making these i don't know.
    We have a 1meg cable modem connection in the house. What kind of wireless router is compatible with mac and how much do they cost? Is there a cheap USB device that i could use to avoid getting shafted on ebay that would get me online?
    Help out an ignorant fool who should have got wise when he had the chance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

More or less any 802.11b or 802.11b/g router will work. If your cable modem is ethernet (as opposed to USB) you should get one for £30 (£40 max). USB wireless devices tend not to have OSX drivers so don't work.

3. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

I'll sell you my airport card for US$300.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

or get it from lacomputercompany.com for less than 200.

Or a better choice may be an ethernet based device. Its not as useful for laptops, since they require a power source (macsense makes one that connects through ethernet but gets its power from USB, maybe a good option for a laptop user). Ethernet devices require no drivers or any kind and are much more reliable than USB adaptors.

5. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Re: original Airport cards...

Check out the thread i just started.

6. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

7. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I had a d-link bluetooth USB adapter on my old powerbook. Worked flawlessly. Seems D-Link is one of the few major manufacturers out there that thinks about us mac users! :(

8. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

i picked up an airport card (and iMac adaptor) for NZ$100 off trademe.co.nz (our local eBay). There's one up at the mo for $200 (i think that's about US$140), but if you're patient a better deal's sure to crop up.

9. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Do you really want to be able to use your computer everywhere around your house, or do you just want to get 'net access to a place that you can't get to with cables? I was stuck with the latter, so I picked up two 3-way adaptor/accesspoint/ethernet bridge boxes from Belkin at CompUSA for around $40 each and put one near the router, one in my room, and set them to only accept MAC addresses from each other, and it works like a charm

10. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

i hope it is good, because i just ordered one on ebay. :)

11. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

But you have an airport extreme card... aghhh now i'm confused!
    Do i need an airport card to make the d-link wl-122 work? I was under the idea that the d-link excused the need for a card.

12. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

If you can get a USB dongle with Mac drivers then you don't need an Airport card. The Airport card simply allows you to connect to wireless networks (802.11b) but is not required to allow another device to connect to the network. If you already had an Airport card then you definitely wouldn't need the USB dongle.

13. allan_zip thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip