Wireless Or Not?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Exist2Inspire, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Exist2Inspire macrumors member

Purchasing an iMac in the next few weeks. Is it worth the extra £40 for the wireless keyboard and mouse? I mean...I won't really be using the USB ports on the iMac itself at all. The only thing I would need a port for would be a flash drive, and I can just deal with the 1.1 on the keyboard. When I get a printer I will probably go for a Wi-Fi one anyway. Also, how long is the battery life on the Mouse & Keyboard?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Depends on your set up. I love my wireless K and M because I have a keyboard tray below the desk. Wire is barely long enough to reach through a hole/grommet in desk to the tray. Wireless--no issue.

KB battery life I find is about 6 mo. Mouse is much worse--about 2 mos. That's for original BT mouse, not Mighty BT.

3. Exist2Inspire thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm getting a new desk soon which will be all on one level...so do you think that will work?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is no USB 1.1 port or any other kind of USB port on most wireless keyboards I know of. I personally would snap at the wireless though. I love mine.

5. Arcus macrumors 6502a

If you plan on gaming its a flat out 'no'. I dislike any wireless mouse or keyboard because of the lag for anything I do.

6. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I have the wired set, probably just because I know I'll never get round to charging them, easier to just have them powered from the mac. However, it is annoying having tons of white cable, and having to work out what each is all the time (iPod, Keyboard, Mouse, Camera...)

7. countach macrumors regular

On one level, wireless keyboards are a pain in the butt because you have to keep replacing the batteries. On the other hand, I'm just SICK SICK SICK of wires around my computer and am willing to pay the price. Get a recharger and a bowl of batteries and have it handy.

8. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

I would definitely recommend at least the wireless keyboard. I have an apple wireless keyboard and a microsoft wireless bluetooth mouse and I couldn't be happier. To me wireless freedom is worth having to change the batteries every few months.

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I love my wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse. Of course I love anything wireless. Cables = Bad!

That said, bottom line is that if you don't think you'll need it, and the wires don't bother you, then I wouldn't spend the extra money for something you don't need. Simple as that. :)

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a wireless mouse and wired keyboard. With all the wires I have, the wireless mouse is a godsend, except for when I run out of batteries and don't have any spares. OS X SUCKS when it comes to using the keyboard to navigate. No lie, I'd rather use Windows 3.1 or Me than OS X without a mouse.

Get a bowl of batteries, and keep it stocked. Then go wireless.

11. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

The wireless is such a bargain when you get it bundled with an iMac, I'd just go for it. It works fine and having no wires is pretty cool.

12. RobTuck macrumors regular

Unless you have your keyboard at the other end of the room, I cant see how lag is an issue. I notice no lag whatsoever using my wireless keyboard.

However, the mighty mouse is terrible for gaming, as you cant left and right click simultanously.

13. Euan macrumors regular

Depends on your situation. Because of my flat the wireless option was a definite. I've got rechargable batteries so it's working a dream.

14. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

for notebooks, i would definitely recommend wireless keyboards and mice. I love my wireless Apple keyboard and kensington mouse

but for desktop systems, i think you should stay with a wired keyboard. I believe you can't use start-up keystrokes with bluetooth keyboards, which may be an issue later on. Feel free to correct me if im wrong, though.

You might find a wireless mouse useful. Just one less USB port used, and one less wire to get in the way. :)

15. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Go for the wireless. Its a great deal when bought with a machine and it rocks! Contrary to what Arcus said, wireless mice are fine for gaming. I notice no delay or lag or whatever else he/she thinks wireless mice do for gaming. Its great in first person shooters as well as all other games.

16. Kiscokid macrumors member

Really couldnt be bothered to spend the extra money on this option as I never move away from my desk to work. Also didnt want to be fiddling around with batteries. Admittedly less wiring the better - but moving from a pc which had wires trailing everywhere I dont find this too much of a problem.